VMware Communities
wvmstr
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 14.X - disappointed with performance, bugs etc

I am a paid user of Workstation and its expense was by far the largest amount paid for software in the last few years.

After about a year of use I cannot say that I am happy with my purchase.

The only reason I use this software is to let me use an Autodesk product in a Windows 7 guest.

Here are my list of observations:

performance is not good: everything is slow

shared folders is even slower, and ultimately fails to retrieve the file I just clicked on with a message the file is no longer found

unity has become unreliable, it just reverts back by itself

sometimes I lose windows 7 taskbar in the guest

a bluetooth mouse kills the guest, makes it totally unusable

the screen flickers dragging it to a different monitor

every update from windows I need to fix credential guard because the guest won't start (you need to fix this Microsoft Gold Partner!)

how many times does one have to install "tools"?

Twice I attempted to post to the forum with real concrete questions, took weeks to get a response from VMware.

I stopped paying for Autodesk updates because there was a never ending stream of paid for new versions, introducing new bugs all the time. At the same time bugs in older versions weren't fixed.

Everytime I get a notice of a new workstation version I am thinking to myself "why don't you fix  what you have?"

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for posting your issues here!
Workstation team is actively looking at the performance issues. For the scenarios that you met, if there are more steps to help us reproduce your issues locally, that would be more helpful.

Such as,

Issue 1: shared folders is even slower, and ultimately fails to retrieve the file I just clicked on with a message the file is no longer found

Issue 2: unity has become unreliable, it just reverts back by itself
Issue 3: sometimes I lose windows 7 taskbar in the guest

Issue 4: a bluetooth mouse kills the guest, makes it totally unusable

Issue 5:the screen flickers dragging it to a different monitor

Issue 6: every update from windows I need to fix credential guard because the guest won't start (you need to fix this Microsoft Gold Partner!)

Issue 7: how many times does one have to install "tools"?

Could you provide us the reproducible steps for each issue? So appreciated if you could help. Then we can take more actions to investigate them.

0 Kudos
wvmstr
Contributor
Contributor

I have a few hundred MB of screen recordings to demonstrate.

Upload prompt says files are too large

0 Kudos
wvmstr
Contributor
Contributor

It has been several weeks since someone offered to look at reproducing some of the poor functionality I am seeing.

Since I have created a few video clips and come to the realization these files are too large and asked for an alternative means of getting you these files.

That was April 14, a good 11 days ago.

Is this typical?

To add to my list of poor performance issues there are also some outright bugs in Workstation 14.1.7 (I believe).

When my software opens a window for instance to edit a text box while in Unity view, it works fine. When I turn off Unity I used that same functionality to edit text in a text box that window is now in no mans land and I cannot get to it. Unless I switch back to Unity view.

"Luckily" Unity view is not very reliable so it craps out (turns itself off) after a while.

On top of this after a few hours of this the workstation process is using up all available memory things become slow and I need to restart the computer.

What is going on here?

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry for late response.

To be honest, we are always on the way to improve the performance of workstation.

Could you upload your files and tell us the file names you loaded ? Since the directory has many contents, and a filename list is better for us to pick up soon.

VMware ftp site:

FTP Server: ftpsite.vmware.com

User:   inbound

Pwd:    inbound

Port:   21

You can retrieve any file that is uploaded to this site via either http or ftp. Via http:

http://ftpsite.vmware.com/inbound/ftp/

0 Kudos
wvmstr
Contributor
Contributor

FTP server not accepting connections.

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you see this page?Or any error message you saw?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
wvmstr
Contributor
Contributor

I was using an FTP client, that didn't work.

Files are up there. Send you a PM

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I was taking vacations and didn't response on time.

Could you please tell me the file name that you uploaded ? Since there were so many files on Apr 30, and I am not sure which one are from you.

Best Regards!

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

[VID] Win7ProX64 - VMware Workstation 2019-04-14 13-27-50.mp4  2019-04-30 05:53 157M 

[VID] Win7ProX64 - VMware Workstation 2019-04-14 13-23-02.mp4  2019-04-30 05:50 167M 

It looks like these two files. If there are other files, let me know.Thanks!

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I watched the two videos: when you tried to open a drawing file by AutoCAD from the share folders, it took long time.

Could you share more information about the workstation version, host version and tools version?That would help us to investigate the issue. Thanks!

0 Kudos
wvmstr
Contributor
Contributor

I sent those as a private message a few hours after you posted this message........

0 Kudos
wvmstr
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 14.1.7

Tools 10.2.5

Exact same behavior last two versions.

0 Kudos