VMware Networking Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Question on Ephemeral port with NSX Validated Design

Hi. I thought I would ask in the NSX forum even though it is not NSX related, but is an issue from the NSX validated design.

We have our Management network on a VDS Ephemeral port, per the Validate design. So we have our vCenter’s and PSC’s on this port group.

I notice if I power off one of the appliances, and power it back on it will not get network until I disconnect the VM vNic and reconnect it.

Is this a bug somewhere? I want to move just the management portion back to Standard switches, but we want to adhere to the Validated Design.

This caught me off-guard when I powered off a PSC to snapshot it before an upgrade, and it didn’t come back on the network and of course vCenter was not accessible, so I had to login to ESXi host and disconnect. I was about to repoint vCenter to another PSC, but tried this first.

Just curious why this behavior with Ephemeral port. Thanks,,,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
chrisgnoon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It sounds strange.  What versions of ESXi and vCenter are you using?

I did some digging and found this article:  Protecting a Distributed Switch with Ephemeral Binding - Wahl Network

I hope it helps you as it may not be the answer you want (i.e. is it a bug) but it provides a useable workaround.

Chris Noon | CCDP | CCNP | VCDX 289
Don't forget to mark as solved if your questions are answered.
0 Kudos