6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2019 2:26 AM by smama21

RAID 1 is lost and inaccessible guests after activating the two hard drives

smama21 Lurker

Greetings ALL,

I have the below issue and appreciate your support.

I have DELL PowerEdge R710 with two hard drive used to be RAID 1. VMware host is serving two VM guests.

With some power supply issues we encountered, I found the server is not working. Checked the BIOS and found the two drives are INACTIVE. I proceeded and activated them through SAS Controller (CTRL-C). However, after activation, I noticed the RAID-1 is not anymore applicable. That is drives are not member of RAID anymore unfortunately.

I proceeded with loading the host. VMware loading but reached to an error indicating duplicate UUID. I understood is related to the two drives (they have same ID - could be) since they are mirroring to each other (my understanding only).

I pulled the second drive physically and load the host again. VMware loaded normally. However when I remote connect to it using vSphere, I saw the two guests showing inaccessible (Unknown). I noticed there is no datastore.

I have images of the two VM guests (vmdk)but not I do not have image for the whole two drives when RAID 1 was working.

Two kind requests for help. I am new to VMware

One which is to understand is the VMware installed in the drives or with the BIOS.

Second, How I can return RAID1 and the VM guests. If not both, how to retrieve the VM guests using single drive.

Help please.

Regards,

Saeed

smama21