VMware Horizon Community
bjartest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error while mapping printers

Hello,

Anyone else experienced the following errors when mapping printers with UEM 9.4? This error is shown in the flexexgine-async.log

2019-04-02 08:26:13.754 [ERROR] Error 2 trying to map printer '\\someprintserver\Printer Name' ('Printer - Name.xml')

We are using both appvolumes and writables (UIA only) and OS is Windows 10 LTSC 1809.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi bjartest,

Error 2 is the generic "file not found" error in Windows. A few questions:

• Are the printer drivers in your base image?
  • Does the printer map correctly without App Volumes?
  • Can you map the printer manually?
0 Kudos
bjartest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

• Are the printer drivers in your base image?
    • Yes, printer drivers are in base image. Also verified that its the same version thats installed on the printserver.

• Does the printer map correctly without App Volumes?
    • The problem doesnt happen all the time. It can work perfectly fine with appstacks and writable attached and suddenly stop working on the next logon for the user (with same appstacks and writable). I have logged on several times with the same setup as the users but currently cant reproduce it.

• Can you map the printer manually?
    • No, but a collague said he was able to add the printer manually by starting and stopping the print spooler first. (Trying to break the printer mapping on my user to verify this).
    • When I get the error message Windows wont let me install by browsing to the printserver and double click the printer. I get windows error 0x00000057.
0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi bjartest,

If mapping the printer manually doesn't work either in those failure scenarios, I'm afraid there's not much to troubleshoot w.r.t. UEM. BTW, that error 0x57 is the rather generic ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER.

Just to try to figure out what to focus on: you wrote that the problem doesn't happen all the time with AppStacks and a writable, but it does it ever occur without App Volumes in play?

Also, just in case: in your "anonymized" log fragment, the printer name is '\\someprintserver\Printer Name'. Does your real printer have a space in its name? There's a somewhat vague Microsoft KB article that states that A Printer Share Name that contains spaces or that is longer than 31 characters may cause certain Win....

0 Kudos
bjartest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We seem to have gotten this issue resolved (printers mapping without problems for two days) after contacting VMware support. They added -uemrefreshwait -uemrefreshprinters as arguments to flexengine.exe to be run at startup. Seemed to be an issue with writable together with Asynchronous printer mappings.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos