VMware Horizon Community
Asdafer
Contributor
Contributor

VMware horizon crashing mac update

Hi,

I've updated my mac yesterday to the latest OS version and the VMware Horizon Client is crashing every time I lock the screen and sometimes even when I'm simply idle for a minute or two. Did anyone experience something similar? Any solutions?

Cheers

0 Kudos
21 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert

What version of the client are you using? The latest is 5.0

Is your current Mac OS a support version?

Horizon Client  5.0

• Support for macOS Sierra (10.12), macOS High Sierra (10.13), and macOS Mojave (10.14) - Use a 64-bit Intel-based Mac to work on your remote desktop or published application.

VMware Horizon Client 5.0 for Mac Release Notes

0 Kudos
jwininger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Crashing for me as well.  I'm running MacOS 10.14.4.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you are running anything other than macOS Sierra (10.12), macOS High Sierra (10.13), and macOS Mojave (10.14) you can install 4.10 or 5.0 but it won't even launch.

0 Kudos
rephlex
Contributor
Contributor

I have noticed since macOS 10.14.4 update the Horizon 5.0 client is (seems randomly) crashing on my MacBook Pro 15" with Radeon Pro Vega 20 GPU. It is perfectly stable though on my 13" MacBook Pro with integrated Intel graphics.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I'm getting reports of it crashing frequently, has anyone opened a ticket.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I second getting an SR in if no one has. Has anyone tried reverting to a previous Horizon Client to see if it's specific to 5.0?

0 Kudos
KyleQu
Contributor
Contributor

Reverted to 4.10.0 (11013656) and that is working fine. Same issue with crashing on Mojave 10.14.4 with Radeon and Horizon 5.0 client. The error message has this message in it....

"Could not create texture for accelerated surface"

0 Kudos
Asdafer
Contributor
Contributor

MacOS - 10.14.4 (18E226)

VMware Horizon - 5.0

After downgrade to Version 4.10.0 (11013656) all issues went away.

Cheers

PS

Sorry for the delayed response, somehow the only notification I caught was of the answer someone else left today.

0 Kudos
rephlex
Contributor
Contributor

I also wanted to confirm that downgrading to 4.10.0 (11013656) has eliminated the crashing on my 15" MacBook Pro. It appears the 5.0 client is the issue on that particular GPU-enabled Mac. I will probably stay at 4.10.0 until VMware addresses the issue.

Thanks all.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Has anyone submitted an SR to ensure VMware is aware?

0 Kudos
jwininger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The issue seems to be related to automatic graphics switching in MacOS 10.14.4.  I disabled it and the crashes have stopped with the latest View client.

0 Kudos
rephlex
Contributor
Contributor

No crashes yet after upgrading to Mojave 10.14.5 and Horizon client 5.0. I will follow up if I see any further crashing behaviour on my 15" MBP with AMD Vega 20 GPU.

0 Kudos
rrbbzz
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the crashes. Upgraded to Mojave beta 7 and am running version 5 of the horizon client and it simply crashes

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.evernote.safari.clipper-Q79WDW8YH9pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
rrbbzz
Contributor
Contributor

Also attached client version 5

0 Kudos
luckiestofstrik
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue with the client (5.2) crashing after the lockscreen is engaged and then disengaged. The client just crashes. Did a fresh install and still the same behavior

0 Kudos
dhbwbr
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue with the latest client (5.2) on 10.15 catalina final version, the client disconnects from the pool every time the computer is locked and/or if you spend any amount of time hanging out on the OSX side for too long and click back into your VDI session. I have the same issue with two different macs running 10.15.

0 Kudos
itegypt
Contributor
Contributor

Once I updated to 10.15 I leave the VM session open and I come back. Horizon “5.2” now hangs and doesn’t respond and then I have to force quit!?

0 Kudos
KjellO
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are also experiencing crashes with Horizon Client 5.2 on Windows clients and have opened a SR on this issue.

The client crashes at log off and disconnect, so users think that they are not beeing logged off since they see the Windows logging off image forever because the Horizon Client crashed.

So it seems like 5.2 is buggy on multiple platforms then.

0 Kudos
bcrsr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmware Horizon Client 5.2.0 on macOS Catalina disconnects on lock

User TGJ2 came up with this as a workaround and it seems to work for those of us who are having random disconnects. Perhaps this is something that will help here too?

TGJ2 post from above community link: "I think I have the answer - go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy.

On the left select Accessibility, and untick VMWare Horizon Client...

Seems to stop the random disconnects."

0 Kudos