3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2019 4:46 AM by MDIKT

vsphere ha fails after vcenter vcsa 6.5 upgrade

hannesfuchs Lurker

we running vsphere essentials plus 6.5 with 3 hosts at build 8935087 and upgraded vcenter via webinterface on port 5480 to the latest one (6.5.0-23200).

the three hosts are in a cluster.

after successful upgrading the HA fails and i disabled it temporarily.

i tried several solutions like this:

disconnect/reconnect hosts

disable/enable ha

restart mgmt services on hosts

restart vcenter appliance

checked network settings of hosts

NOT DONE: restart host(s) / reinstall fdm service

similar problems described here:

vmware esxi - vSphere 6.5 HA agent cannot be correctly installed or configured - Server Fault

fdm logs checked, there are messages like this on all hosts:

>> error fdm[38F7940] [Originator@6876 sub=Cluster] [ClusterPersistence::DoFetchDataSync] Open of file /etc/opt/vmware/fdm/kvstore failed: No such file or directory

only on one host:

>> error fdm[3FB5B70] [Originator@6876 sub=Cluster opID=SWI-427c3c55] [ClusterManagerImpl::RemovePowerOffFile] Couldn't find datastore /vmfs/volumes/5XXXXX8 so file not removed

--> but the datastore is accessable within normal operations (ui and ssh)

any ideas,hints, solutions for this issue?

• 1. Re: vsphere ha fails after vcenter vcsa 6.5 upgrade
          a.p. Guru
          vExpertUser ModeratorsCommunity Warriors

From the cluster settings, open the hosts tab, select all hosts, and run "Reconfigure for HA" to see whether this helps.

If it doesn't work, please post the error messages related to this task.

André

• 2. Re: vsphere ha fails after vcenter vcsa 6.5 upgrade
            MDIKT Novice

thanks for your reply.

reconfigure HA tried (only available with ha enabled), but without success. so i disabled HA again.

end with an "timeout" message in vcenter vsphere-client, same as appears on HA configuration (will be enabled).

additionally appears a "vsphere ha-master-agent not found" message

fdm.log:

error fdm[369B940] [Originator@6876 sub=Cluster] [ClusterPersistence::DoFetchDataSync] Open of file /etc/opt/vmware/fdm/kvstore failed: No such file or directory

+

error fdm[3DA7B70] [Originator@6876 sub=Cluster opID=SWI-3ab50c2a] Dead connection for slave @ host-11734

+

error fdm[5659B70] [Originator@6876 sub=Cluster opID=SWI-427c3c55] [ClusterManagerImpl::RemovePowerOffFile] Couldn't find datastore /vmfs/volumes/53XXXd8 so file not removed

• 3. Re: vsphere ha fails after vcenter vcsa 6.5 upgrade
              MDIKT Novice

cause: had some dependencies warnings with some vibs like

.... requires com.vmware.driverAPI-9.2.0.0, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.

.... requires vmkapi_2_0_0_0, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.

they caused the vmware-fdm not to bee updated by vcenter. they had an old version, which seems to conflict with the newest vcenter.

i manually installed die new vmware-fdm vib from vcenter on all hosts and then i was able to reactivate HA again.

this article helped: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2011688

additional i had to add the -f (force) flag on the update command.

VCENTER:

scp /etc/vmware-vpx/docRoot/vSphere-HA-depot/vib20/vmware-fdm/VMware_bootbank_vmware-fdm_XXX.vib HOST:/tmp/

HOST:

esxcli software vib list |grep vmware-fdm

esxcli software vib update -f -v /tmp/VMware_bootbank_vmware-fdm_XXX.vib