VMware Networking Community
VMCommando
Contributor
Contributor

NSX for Netflow Monitoring?

Hello,

I am new to NSX, however I am interested in its netflow monitoring capability for doing traffic analysis in my virtual environment. I would like to know from others with more experience, can NSX be setup to do netflow monitoring with a simple configuration or should I learn more about it and possibly take a course before implementing it? I don't want to implement it if I could potentially cause issues in my environment due to my lack of knowledge with how it interacts with my virtual distributed switch.

I likely won't use it for many other purposes than traffic analysis just to start -- I am not so much worried about cost of using this feature alone.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you're primarily interested in traffic analysis I would look at vRealize Network Insight.  It is simple to configure your virtual distributed switches to send netflow data to it.  As far as I know NSX doesn't inherently provide any additional monitoring functionality to your virtual distributed switch.

0 Kudos
VMCommando
Contributor
Contributor

I've used vRealize before but never Network Insight. I will check this out. Thanks for the advice.

0 Kudos