VMware Horizon Community
R4nG4r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Filtering Vmware Horizon Printer Redirection

Hello,

I'm having trouble understanding how to deploy a group policy with "Specify a filter in redirecting client printers" under Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Vmware Horizon Printer Redirection.

We're running VmWare Horizon 7.7 and we went ahead and enabled the "VmWare Advanced Printing Feature"

Since most of our endpoints are basic workstations with the Windows 10 OS installed it will include some default printers such as "Microsoft Print to PDF" etc.

Our goal was to have none of those printers redirected to the VDI desktop so that they only have their UEM managed printers and for example "Microsoft Print to PDF"  locally on their Virtual Desktop

Weirdly, even though we enabled the policy : Disable Printer Property Persistence ( VMware Virtual Print Redirection Policy Settings ) the printers are still getting redirected to the Virtual Desktop and show up with "(v1)" after their name. This causes confusion with the user and usually messes up their default printer setting.

pastedImage_1.png

I'm not sure if this policy applies to "VmWare Advanced Printing feature" but we've been giving it a try and are having trouble understanding how to use regular expressions (Filtering Printers for Virtual Printing ) does anyone have any experience with this Group Policy?

Can anyone give me an example on how to for example exclude "Microsoft Print to PDF" from redirecting to the Virtual Workstation?

Does it actually apply to the "VmWare Advanced Printing feature" ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoshJames
Contributor
Contributor

In case it helps someone else, I also had zero luck with agent version 7.7 and any filters.  Upgraded agent to 7.9 and filters started working correctly.  Redirected printers are also labelled vdi instead of v1.

The 7.9 universal print driver also works better with HPs - with 7.7 it would just print small squares instead of characters until you installed the native driver.

0 Kudos
jonathanjabez
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMware Advanced Printing(now the name was changed to VMware Integrated Printing) supports printer filtering. The configuration guide is VMware Integrated Printing Policy Settings

and https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-7/7.9/horizon-remote-desktop-features/GUID-39C87770-69C9-4...

Configuring VMware Integrated Printing Redirection . Suggest to use the latest GA version(where tons of features and bu fixes went in).

0 Kudos