VMware Cloud Community
drheim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I like 2 vCPUs in my server templates just because I do not want a single process on VM to peg them. Is that a waste?

I have looked through some threads and seen different answers, so l wanted to see what you guys thought.  We have a 6.5 environment with mostly Windows Server VMs.  Memory is by far the biggest constraint in the environment when I look at host resource utilization.  CPU utilization is about 12% on each host.  My Windows Server 2012R2/2016/2019 templates have (2)vCPUs(single Proc-2 cores)/4GB RAMjust because I do not want a single threaded process to cause issues on a VM.  Is that smart or will that create more performance issues? Opinions are helpful. Thanks,

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Numa only really comes into play if you have 2 or more processors and you have a vm that has enough cpus to span both the processors. With 6.5 its even less of a problem, unless you change cores per cpu esxi will place vms with the optimal numa node configuration. 2 vCpu for vms is a good place to start and increase if they start seeing pressure.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Numa only really comes into play if you have 2 or more processors and you have a vm that has enough cpus to span both the processors. With 6.5 its even less of a problem, unless you change cores per cpu esxi will place vms with the optimal numa node configuration. 2 vCpu for vms is a good place to start and increase if they start seeing pressure.

drheim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes -  I was just removing that as I did not think it would matter..  Thanks for your vote of 2 vCPUs as being a decent place to start. for new VMs

0 Kudos