VMware Communities
Coopr
Contributor
Contributor

Slow - slow - S...L...O...W

Hi all.

I have a very new MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9, 32GB 2400 MHz DDR4, with Radeon Pro 560X 4096MB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB. (Yes - safe to say it burnt a hole in my pocket.) and I have installed VMWare Fusion Version 10.1.5 (10950653) running Windows 10.

I found by accident the other day - an old favourite of mine - Microsofts Age of Empires Definitive Edition - was in the Microsoft store - so I downloaded it to run on Fusion - to remember my younger days. Little did I realise that it was so like my younger days with the graphics glitching and hanging to the point of not being able to play!!

Surely I have enough power in this brand new Mac to run a simple game on Fusion?

I've tried a few settings that I can see, using more processors and memory - but it doesn't seem to make any difference... I have to be doing something wrong?

Surely someone can help me - I can't stand having bought AOE and not being able to play it!!!

Help?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Did you enable 3D Accelerated graphics in the VM's display settings?

I've played the 'non-definitive' version in a VM on lesser hardware, no problems, but it looks like this version has a big graphics update.

Just checked the store and it actually needs DirectX 11.

Which means that in a VM it's falling back to DX10.1 because we don't have DX11 just yet.

I don't think this is going to run much faster than you're experiencing it due to the vGPU capabilities of today.

How much RAM, CPU and vRAM are you configuring the VM with?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/age-of-empires-definitive-edition/9n2kmdvlk85d?activetab=pivot:reg...

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos