VMware Cloud Community
MikaelKorsgaard
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Converter P2V failed

Hi all,

Have used VMware Converter for some machines with fine results.

Some servers sadly fails with: "Unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible" at 97% completed.

It should be current VMware Converter build, the version I uses is: 6.2.0 build 8466193

I'm using the setup where i've selected the possibility to synchronize after the first P2V have run.

The weird thing is, if I boot the VM that is converted it boots fine and looks okay!

The problem is I cannot select the "Synchronize" on the job after it fails, so need to rerun the whole P2V again.

Any throught/help?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Upload log bundle with failed synchronization, preferable single task, for analyze.

Generally 97-98% is "Unable to reconfig" but will be strange to have different results between full and incremental synchronizations.

0 Kudos
MikaelKorsgaard
Contributor
Contributor

Can these logs be used or where do I find more logs?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The culprit here is proxy mode - why you using it? the purpose of proxy mode is not for HyperV conversions. Try without it and share result.

HTH

0 Kudos
MikaelKorsgaard
Contributor
Contributor

I understod if the source cannot connect to VMware, then Proxy should be used?

i’ll try Without proxy mode tomorrow and get back with result

0 Kudos
MikaelKorsgaard
Contributor
Contributor

The conversion fails without Proxy Mode enabled (1% Completed)

Pretty sure it's because Live VM dosn't have access to VMware.

0 Kudos
MikaelKorsgaard
Contributor
Contributor

Yes correct, thats why I use Proxy Mode.

The problem is that it fails at 97% completed. Other live conversion works fine.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you test the (re)config only task on problematic machines from different Converter with access to vCenter/ESX?

Also, there is a chance for target VMs to start without reconfig because they already running on virtual hardware, so you can try to run these machines without reconfig.

HTH

0 Kudos
MikaelKorsgaard
Contributor
Contributor

The recnfiguration is done when final synch. is set.

So still after deselecting the "reconfig" it still fails with: "Unable to find system volume, reconfiguration is not possible"

As I wrote, I can boot up the converted VM fine, but cannot use the Synch, in the Converter job, which is needed.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Once there are successful conversions you try to figure out what the differences between machines are.

The MBR/GPT partitions scheme, presence or not of LDM, versions of Windows, etc.

When incremental conversion is performed, the reconfigurations are done to test intermediate conversions.

The most important reconfig is final one. Of course the case without reconfig is still valid if target VM boots properly.

HTH

0 Kudos
MikaelKorsgaard
Contributor
Contributor

The issue is I don't know what to look at. All P2V is windows 2016 servers. 3 worked fine and another 3 came with the reconfiguration failed. All 3 failed servers could be booted in VMware fine after the error. Problem is that the option to Synch. again is gone when the job fails.

I found no solution to debug this at VMware Converter or source machine :smileycry:

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, I understand you that debugging and troubleshooting such issues is not trivial task.

The easiest way is to produce different log files with single conversions for successful and not successful ones.

The restart of worker service will switch the log file but you need to be sure that there are no pending task, including scheduled, while restarting!

The similar result could be retrieved with different Converters installations (on different machines).

HTH

0 Kudos
adgate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Consider trying Disk2vhd​ to P2V and then StarWind V2V Converter to make VMDK.

0 Kudos
RSI99
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am seeing the same error, when trying to converter a few Azure VM's down to our VMware env.

Thing is that the 100% successful VM convertations, contain a direct System Volume seen in the Disk Management.

Though the failed ones does not have a showing System Volume. Guess that makes scense in terms of VMware converter failing to find one? Also i see a lot of discussion about boot.ini file? The failed VMs do not have a boot.ini file? it that required? seen a guy just copied a temporary one onto the source VM?

Did you guys come up with another solution? - I also need the sync function for this task. I am able to boot the VM's just fine.

Br,

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The reconfiguration requires system volume, otherwise will fail.

Why the system volume is mission or can not be located is different story.

Could you share details and log bundle?

0 Kudos
RSI99
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just attached the logs and a snip of "Disk Management on one of the Azure VM's that i am trying to pull down.

Funny enough the new Azure vm i just tried to create, does have a seprate System Volume visible in the disk management.

Just sanitized the logs for domain\username - Hope you find something helpful.

Thanks

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The problem is with your BCD data, there is no 'default object' (23000003) in {bootmgr} ({9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}) record.

There is a possible way to fix it but hazardous - in recovery command prompt run the command 'bootrec /rebuildbcd'. For example see How to Rebuild the BCD in Windows

The other possibilities are: fix with bcdedit.exe utility or add some records manually (expert level).

Seems that bcdedit is the best choice.

HTH

0 Kudos
RSI99
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mr Poceh,

thank you for your reply.

I am not sure i understand. What i am after, is to make changes to the source machine, for this convertion to be successful, enabeling me to do a sync.

I need to migrate a few VMs during a service window, and the only option for this to run quick enough, is to do a sync.

The migrated VM is able to boot.

The bcdedit.exe is done on the source machine?

I have attached a snip of the current bcdedit output of the source machine.

Thank you

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Unfortunately the fix must be made on source machine, that's why hazardous, because Converter just uses copied data.

However some machines could start without reconfiguration especially if disks are not reorganized somehow and no special hardware exists.

In your bcd configuration line "device     unknown" looks as culprit, it should be like "device     partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1".

So you can try to fix device with bcdedit and then try the conversion again.

HTH

0 Kudos