VMware Communities
tnskydivr
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to open .vmdk "the system cannot find the file specified"

When trying to open a Win7 x64 VM, I get the error message specified above.  This vm is on a physical drive (D:) on this machine.  I see the .vmdk file referenced.   I do have snapshots, but if the .vmx file won't open, how can I repair what seems to be a corrupted file?  Thanks please I have read thru the forums but don't know how to fix.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tnskydivr
Contributor
Contributor

PS:  I can open the vmx file in notepad and the vmdk filename specified matches.  Can post pics if requested.  Yes I am a very new user. 

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Keith

we will need the  vmx-file, the vmware log files and a file list.

Please attach the requested files to your next reply.

0 Kudos
tnskydivr
Contributor
Contributor

Hope this is what you are looking for.  I'm remoting into this machine (never fails the error occurred as I was getting on airplane for vacation uggh) thanks for such a prompt response!  Edit: Don't know why the attachments showed up as zipped...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I see that you enabled the "autodestruct" feature - inappropriatly named "Autoprotect" in the VMware documentation !!! - not good.
The result is
DISKLIB-SPARSE: "D:\VMWare\PlanetPress Server\Windows 7 x64 Planet Press-000003-s001.vmdk" : failed to open (14): Disk needs repair.
I need a list of all files - including full name and size - your screenshot is not good enough.
So please create that list from commandline via
dir *.vmdk > list-of-vmdks.txt
I also need

D:\VMWare\PlanetPress Server\Windows 7 x64 Planet Press-000004.vmdk

D:\VMWare\PlanetPress Server\Windows 7 x64 Planet Press-000003.vmdk

D:\VMWare\PlanetPress Server\Windows 7 x64 Planet Press-000002.vmdk

D:\VMWare\PlanetPress Server\Windows 7 x64 Planet Press-000001.vmdk

D:\VMWare\PlanetPress Server\Windows 7 x64 Planet Press.vmdk
And between us - stop using Autodestruct / Autoprotect in future if you have valuable data inside of your VMs.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The log file complains about inconsistencies in the grain directories for "Windows 7 x64 Planet Press-000004-s003.vmdk", but I cannot see this file in the listing you've posted. If the file exists (maybe I just couldn't see it), then please post the file listing in a text format, e.g. run dir *.* > filelist.txt, and attach the resulting filelist.txt to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos