VMware Cloud Community
jorgesixto
Contributor
Contributor

VMware ESXi 6.7 U1 hypervisor problem creating datastore view system partitions

Hi

I have 4 disks, and when I go to create the 4th datastore have this problem, is the first time I can view the system partitions:

Left BEFORE, RIGHT AFTER, you can view the VMFS 10 and Free  space 1.82, when the disk is 2 TB total.... I update the web client to last version: 1.33.1 12086396 compilation. And the server are VMWARE 6.7.0 10302608 compilation

error3.png

And when I put to increase the datastore size in the free space (in red), the space that grow is the partition 2. Basic data. and 10 VMFS, two at once.

error2.png

and whatever I put always gives the error, even if I put 2GB

error1.png

No se pudo crear el almacén de datos de V

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The option to modify the datastore on the installation disk should actually not even show up. I'd consider this a bug in the client.

Resizing the VMFS datastore on the installation disk has to be done from the command line (see https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2002461​)

André

0 Kudos
jorgesixto
Contributor
Contributor

Not resizing is creating... In this disk cannot create new datastore with this Free space (1.81 TB) in a DATASTORE because the system says:

Failed to create VMFS datastore test - Cannot change the host configuration.

0 Kudos
jorgesixto
Contributor
Contributor

Not resizing is creating... In this disk cannot create new datastore with this Free space (1.81 TB) in a DATASTORE because the system says:

Failed to create VMFS datastore test - Cannot change the host configuration.

0 Kudos
jorgesixto
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André thanks for your response.

What are this partitions, is the first time that I view system partitions. Can delete it?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What are this partitions, is the first time that I view system partitions. Can delete it?

These are the system partitions for ESXi, so don't delete them or you will need to reinstall ESXi.

Anyway, something must have happened on this host. The installer automatically creates a VMFS partition (a datastore) on the installation disk, but in this case this partition is missing!?

André

0 Kudos
jorgesixto
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response.

Yes! is an image from OVH provider. Normally I install manual and is the first time I view this,

but this dedicated server provider does it in this way to install the image. And it comes incorrectly.

Any way to create the VMFS datastore by command line to take advantage of free space? Since the web client fails and does not work correctly on this disk.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... but this dedicated server provider does it in this way to install the image. And it comes incorrectly.

Really. In this case you should think about switching to another provider. If you cannot trust the provider to setup the environment correctly, you may run into serious issues in case of disaster recovery (if it is required at some point in time). If you are paying for this, you should insist to having the job done properly!

It should basically be possible to create an additional VMFS partition (assuming that the underlying storage is supported). However, this won't be easy, and I've never tried it before, as there was simply not reason for me to do this. If something goes badly wrong, you might need to reinstall the host.

André

0 Kudos