VMware Cloud Community
eddilimp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Startup order of VMs after power loss

Hi all,

last week we had a power loss at one plant and all VMs and ESXi hosts were switched off. After the power came back, the ESXi hosts and also the VMs started automatically. Now I have one question. Is it possible to set up a startup order? I would like to start first the domain controller VMs and then the other VMs. The two ESXi hosts are in a HA-Cluster. Is it anyhow possible? Thanks for your suggestions.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SantoshKumarJ
Contributor
Contributor

Yes its possible by selecting startup order in the Host > configuration > virtual machine startup/shutdown.

and select properties  check box system settings Allow virtual machines to start and stop automatically & set the time.

0 Kudos
eddilimp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In a HA cluster this function is disabled:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Hi

Check if the following VMware KB article helps:

Create VM Groups to Define Startup Order in the Management Cluster in Region B

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
eddilimp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, I understand this. VMware support told me, that this wouldn't work after a power loss. But ok, if it would work, do I have to define a group for the DCs and a group of the other VMs? If so, then I always have to manually add new created VMs to the second group. Or do I misunderstand something?

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Hi

You'll need to manually add new created VMs.

Setting Virtual Machine Start Order with VMware High Availability

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
serveradminist2
Contributor
Contributor

If you in cluster then you can't changed startup start vm directly from host, you can change from vcenter only.

Regard's

Ramjas saroj

0 Kudos
eddilimp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, and where exactly can I change that?

0 Kudos
serveradminist2
Contributor
Contributor

Soory dear for wrong answer. we can't be change from vcenter but we can change from directly host. firstly you disconnect from vcenter the you can change from configuration tab.

0 Kudos