VMware Cloud Community
erikiu
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VM in ESXi does not show Hard Drives

Hi there,

I am learning and experimenting in a small home lab with VMware and all those things. I do have a physical server with ESXi 6.5.0 installed on it, and created two datastores with the drives. It appears and can be used, I just stored some isos in there.
But when trying to install, for instance, a VM with a Win7, at the installation process it does not shows up any disk.

What is these happening??

Thanks

5 Replies
Buddhika01
Contributor
Contributor

are you using VMware workstation to install esxi?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

When you created the new VM did you also create a virtual disk ?
Which SCSI-controller did you assign ?

0 Kudos
erikiu
Contributor
Contributor

@Buddhika01 Of course not! ESXi is already installed bare metal on the server. I am trying to deploy creates new virtual machines.

0 Kudos
erikiu
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure to had created the virtual disk, but it appears on the configuration of the VM. I think this is going through the SCSI controller assignment you mention.. Which would be the correct configuration? I have just one controller SCSI 0 with tree types:

• LSI Logic SAS
  • LSI Logic Parallel
  • VMWare Paravirtual

And then other attribute is: SCSI Bus Sharing which can choose between:

• None
  • Physical
  • Virtual

Definitely this is the cause of the problem, cause I've just tried to create a new VM changing the configuration to the type LSI Logic Parallel and it works, shows up the disk and can use it.

But, now the question is, how this setting should be?

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

LSI Logic Parallel or SAS is fine for Win 7.
SCSI Bus Sharing Off