VMware Communities
iFort
Contributor
Contributor

Client machine's cpu runs at 100% when I start and remains so

I am using VMWare workstation 15 and I installed a copy of windows 10. A week ago I believe it was fine, but then suddenly CPU of the guest started running at 100%, I even couldn't start the machine. It will show the spinning image when windows is starting.

The host did not show any increase in cpu.

I gave the guest machine 6gb of ram, 2 processors. I lowered them, increased them, etc, but does not seem to improve.

Here is a print screen of the Task manager. How it is showing system is high but that differs very quickly.

Any help is much appreciated.

pastedImage_1.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Unfortunately the system's tab in task manager gives no information.

Can you show the contents of the Details tab, sorted on CPU usage and make sure to add the command line column (we will need to see the full width of that column)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
iFort
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help. Here are a few print screens. Hope they could help.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You have 2 screenshots with the "Idle process" at about 90%, so in those screenshots the VM was actually not busy.

The other one however with the "NT Kernel & System" at 91% is interesting. If you happen to see that a lot then that can mean a number of things.

It could mean that your VM has too many virtual CPUs assigned (this is common, you mentioned you lowered/increased something, not sure if that also includes lowering the virtual CPU count) or it could mean that the host itself was too busy.

Or of course it can also be due to something else, such as an antivirus product being too "helpful".

If you have an antivirus product installed, then I recommend uninstalling it for testing if it is causing this problem. Sometimes you can get away with disabling the antivirus product, but most of the times an uninstall is required to exclude it from the possible causes.

For an antivirus product at the host you also want to exclude scanning the virtual machine (either by excluding the folder where the VM lives or by excluding the file types, most notably the .vmdk files)

Another possibility is that the VM is trying to defragment, or that some of the physical hardware is misbehaving (most often disk).

It is also recommended to disable shadow copies in the guest OS.

Oh.. more ideas.

Are you sharing a folder from host to guest via shared folders? Try to disable it.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos