VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

Is that necessary create a role for vcenter components during create vcenter HA

Hi

If i reside all of my vcenter during create vcenter HA (vcenter active - passive and witness ) on one esxi host and one datastore , Will it move a put each of them on separate Host while enable DRS on my cluster ? or  i had to create a role for each of them ?

BR

Babak

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi baber,

If you choose Automated (Basic) then the DRS anti-affinity rules are automatically created. If you go the Manual (Advanced) way then this is something you need to configure yourself.

The Automated option is probably the better choice as everything is done for you including adding a 2nd NIC and resizing the Witness VM.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

So thanks

but in vcsa 6.7 there is not any option for manual or advance

it has just one option  setup vcenter HA

BR

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

but in vcsa 6.7 there is not any option for manual or advance

This has been removed to simplify the setup. The setup wizard will guide you through the setup, and take care of everything that's required.

André

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Due to create vcenter HA i did not see any option about advance or manual

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As mentioned before, this option/selection has been removed for simplicity reasons.

André

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Thanks

now in this mode due to create vcenter HA while i select all of components (vcenter active , vcenter passive , witness ) on one host and one datastore will it move them in different host and datastores due to DRS and SDR and create a role for them that separate from each other and reside on the separate hosts?

BR

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't tell you for sure, whether the wizard will allow such a setup, nor whether the components will be migrated later on based on rules if you configure it that way.

Anyway, why would you want to setup it this way? Isn't it high availability that you want to achieve, i.e. separate hosts, datastores, locations, ...?

André

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

I just want sure, Do i had to create a role for separate vms manually or it will be create automatically ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

DRS rules should be created automatically, not sure about SDRS rules though.

In case the wizard doesn't allow you to place all three VMs on the same host, take a look at https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2016/11/how-to-enable-vcenter-server-high-availability-vcha-in-vsphe... which may help.

André

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

So thanks

but in my LAB i ran vcenter HA and run all of 3 vms on one esxi host

0 Kudos