7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2019 12:07 AM by Atul_

VP4 - Required number of desktop client pair(s) can not be created

chamay Novice

In the previous post I got the problem of linked clone stuck in customizing state. Finally I was able to create a linked clone pool with an available VM. Running a remote test I got the "Required number of desktop client pair(s) can not be created, created pair(s) = 0, expected = 1".

Here is the log in /viewplanner/vpresults/rrun2.log

# RUN RRUN2: Preparing . . . . .

# RUN RRUN2: Starting . . . . .

# WORKGROUP WRKGRP: Searching for 1 client(s).

# WORKGROUP WRKGRP: Searching for 1 desktop(s).

# VM CLIENT1: Ready for run.

# VM DSKTP1: Ready for run.

# WORKGROUP WRKGRP: Found 1 client(s). 

# WORKGROUP WRKGRP: Found 1 desktop(s).

# WORKGROUP WRKGRP: Starting client optimization/pre-run workload(s).

# VM CLIENT1 : Starting Optimization/pre-run.

# VM CLIENT1: Optimization/pre-run completed.

# WORKGROUP WRKGRP: Client optimization/pre-run workload(s) complete.

# WORKGROUP WRKGRP: Starting desktop optimization/pre-run workload(s).

# VM DSKTP1 : Starting Optimization/pre-run.

# VM DSKTP1: Optimization/pre-run completed.

# WORKGROUP WRKGRP: Desktop optimization/pre-run workload(s) complete.

# WORKGROUP WRKGRP: Prepare AD user(s).

# WORKGROUP WRKGRP: Starting to entitle VM pool with AD user Group prototypinglab.local 

# WORKGROUP WRKGRP: Trying to log-off desktop(s).

# WORKGROUP WRKGRP: Starting remote desktop connection workload on client(s).

# VM CLIENT1 : Starting Remote desktop connection.

# VM CLIENT1: Remote desktop connection completed.

# WORKGROUP WRKGRP: Remote desktop connection completed.

# WORKGROUP WRKGRP: Creating desktop client pair(s).

# WORKGROUP WRKGRP: Required number of desktop client pair(s) can not be created, created pair(s) = 0, expected = 1

# RUN RRUN2: Generating report . . . . .

# RUN RRUN2: Completed.

The file harness_run.log shows the error

2019-03-08 23:29:09,965 DEBUG    harnessCore.run.vmAgent.py - isAvailable enter DSKTP1

2019-03-08 23:29:09,966 DEBUG    harnessCore.controller.listener.py - _callRemoteCallback_async: enter

2019-03-08 23:29:09,969 INFO     harnessCore.controller.listener.py - _callRemoteCallback: Exception ApplicationError(error=<wamp.error.no_such_procedure>, args=['no callee registered for procedure <com.viewplanner.remote_isAvailable.192.168.1.163>'], kwargs={}, enc_algo=None)

2019-03-08 23:29:09,970 DEBUG    harnessCore.controller.listener.py - _callRemoteCallback_async: exit

2019-03-08 23:29:09,970 DEBUG    harnessCore.run.vmAgent.py - isAvailable exit status 22 vmname DSKTP1

2019-03-08 23:29:09,970 DEBUG    harnessCore.run.vmAgent.py - logOffUser exit status 0

Has Atul or anyone an idea how to overcome this? Thanks.

• 1. Re: VP4 - Required number of desktop client pair(s) can not be created
          Atul_ Enthusiast
          VMware Employees

Can you open client VM console during test and check if horizon client is able to login to desktop?  Also please share your run profile details.

• 2. Re: VP4 - Required number of desktop client pair(s) can not be created
            chamay Novice

I opened the client console during test and it failed to login to the desktop. It used a special workload, vp_viewconnection to connect to the desktop and timed out. The error before timing out is unable to find the file watermarklatency.log.

The run profile which I used was set like this

Name: RUN1

Run Mode: remote

VM Count: 1

Iteration Count: 5

Rampup Time: blank

Think Time: blank

Description: blank

Wokgroup Name: WRKGRP

Domain Name: prototypinglab.local

Workprofile Name: standardTestProfile_chrome

Percent VM: 100

Display Protocol: blast

Desktop Type: vdi

DesktopVM Prefix: DSKTP

Infraserver Name: plvc01

VdiServer Name plcs01

ClientVM Prefix: CLIENT

Infraserver Name: plvc01

I have not tried horizon client to log in to the desktop from the client but I was able to log in the desktop using PCOIP thin client with user name wrkgrp_1 password Q1w2e3r4!

I will try it tomorrow on the client. Sorry for the delay since I was busy doing other no fun part of the job. Thanks.

• 3. Re: VP4 - Required number of desktop client pair(s) can not be created
              Atul_ Enthusiast
              VMware Employees

- Check if you are able to login manually using view client.

- check configuration file workload.config in c:\viewplanner\workload\vdi_user\vp_viewConnnection_1.0 and see if following keys have correct values, use same values to login to desktop manually.

SERVER_IP, USER_NAME, PASSWORD, DOMAIN_NAME, POOL_NAME, POOL_TYPE, PROTOCOL

- Share log folder in c:\viewplanner\workload\vdi_user\vp_viewConnnection_1.0 with me.

• 4. Re: VP4 - Required number of desktop client pair(s) can not be created
                chamay Novice

My bad! I did not install horizon view client on the client VM but horizon view agent. After add view client to the client VM, the test was finally run to finish. However many "action" were skipped or not run. The report, for example shows excel-open  0/1 excel-move 0/1 , etc.

Can you point me to documents on how to customize or modify workload scripts? Thank you so much for your help.

• 5. Re: VP4 - Required number of desktop client pair(s) can not be created
                  Atul_ Enthusiast
                  VMware Employees

Modifying existing workloads is not supported, however creating and plugging in new workload is possible. If you can share your logs and the report at viewplanner-info@vmware.com, I can help debug the issue.

Please check if you have correct version of applications like office, pdf reader, chrome etc installed along with required license before that.

• 6. Re: VP4 - Required number of desktop client pair(s) can not be created
                    chamay Novice

By logging in the client VM console during the test I found that python was blocked by the firewall. After fixing that the test run to the end and the report looked complete except outlook 2016 of course was not supported. Thanks for offering debug the issue but I think I am good for now.

My task is to design a test to independently verify the performance of a new system. The standard workloads in view planner I think can be used for office users and power users group tests. I also have an engineering group running some additional applications such as graphics display, database, etc. If I can have some pointers on creating new workload that would be great.

Please pardon me for asking so many newbie questions. I am a newbie to vmware and view planner as well.

• 7. Re: VP4 - Required number of desktop client pair(s) can not be created
                      Atul_ Enthusiast
                      VMware Employees

- Yes, standard benchmark work profiles can be used for office users, for power users you can 1- Select a set of available workloads and create your own workprofile, if standard profiles are not enough. 2- create your own workloads and use them for test along with default workloads, this option requires programming efforts.

- To create your own workload, start with example vp_pythonExample workload available in c:\viewplanner\workloads\vdi_user\ folder. There are two files in the folder

1- workload.config: you need to change workload name here to new name

2-  workload_script.py: workload code, here are few important pointers about this:

- Each workload have few operations, for example a Microsoft word workload have operations like open, minimize, maximize etc. these operations name can be provided in op_details array search for "op_details[0][0]"

- operations count can be provided in  op_count variable.

- Everything inside Workload switch is measured and reported in view planner report search for    "# Workload switch [DO NOT REMOVE]"

-  For example if one of my operation name was word_open and the code for this operation is in word_open() function, I will call this function in place of this line "logger.debug("Add code to run operation one here")"

Let me know if you need additional explanation.