VMware Cloud Community
REDDEER
Contributor
Contributor

new to vSAN. our organization has only one vSAN cluster. How and where can we use VMotion? why?thanks

new to vSAN. our organization has only one vSAN cluster. How and where can we use VMotion? why? thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How and where can we use VMotion?

You can basically use vMotion on each host that has access to the shared storage, and the vMotion network configured.

why?

That's indeed an interesting question. Why would you use vMotion? In general you use it for increased uptime.

André

0 Kudos
Bruticusmaximus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How many nodes in your VSAN cluster?

Vmotion works the same with VSAN as it does with any other Vmware environment I think.

0 Kudos
REDDEER
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for reply.

less than 6 hosts in the cluster

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The time will come and you would like or must update the first of your six ESXi Hosts. Instead of shutdown the VMs you would migrate them with vMotion to another host does avoid a downtime of your VMs. Thats why you should use vMotion Smiley Happy

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
REDDEER
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. can you give more detail? not fully understand. we only have the vsan cluster . is this a shared storage either? can you give me a configuration example ink ?

Re: new to vSAN. our organization has only one vSAN cluster. How and where can we use VMotion? why?thanks
a.p.

How and where can we use VMotion?

You can basically use vMotion on each host that has access to the shared storage, and the vMotion network configured.

why?

That's indeed an interesting question. Why would you use vMotion? In general you use it for increased uptime.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Well, vSAN is actually kind of shared storage. The storage is local to each host participating in the vSAN cluster, but other hosts can access it over the network.

Setting up vMotion is pretty straight forward. However, it depends on your current network configuration, and NIC usage to set it up, so that it works as expected.

André

0 Kudos
Bruticusmaximus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah, so your question is, "When would you Vmotion"?  If you're putting a VSAN host in Maintenance Mode to patch, VSAN has a few new options.

No data Evacuation - This leaves everything right where it is. I don't know when you'd ever use this option. If you power off a host, you could lose access to VMs

Ensure data accessibility - This moves some of the data off the host so you can reboot it without losing access to VMs. I think this is the default. Depending on what you have Failures to tolerate set to and the number of hosts in your cluster, you may lose redundancy while the host is off or rebooting. If another host reboots while the first one is down, VMs will go offline.

Evacuate all data to another host - This is the safest option but, it can take FOREVER. In some cases, it could take all day.  And, yo have to have enough free space available on the other hosts. It'll tell you right away if you don't have enough space though.

0 Kudos