VMware Horizon Community
RCart832
Contributor
Contributor

Persistent Desktop without UEM

After Vmware told us that App volumes is not designed/supported for our persistent desktops, we have decided to ditch UEM and just use app volumes to deploy apps.  As far as any uem settings that would be lost,  (ie background,registry settings,etc) does anyone know what would be the best way to deploy those settings to persistent desktops?

6 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi RCart832,

I'm confused... UEM is perfectly suitable for persistent desktops. App Volumes is not, as far as I know... Would you mind sending me a private message with some more details, so I can try to set the internal record straight?

0 Kudos
RCart832
Contributor
Contributor

My mistake,you are correct.

DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi RCart832,

Thank you for confirming that. Please let us know if we can help with UEM in your persistent setup.

0 Kudos
RCart832
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i have several user settings (default backgrounds,registry entries,etc) that will need to be pushed since we no longer will be using uem. What is the best way to do this, login script, gpo, or writable volumes?

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi RCart832,

If you won't be using UEM, Group Policy is probably the easiest way to apply such settings.

0 Kudos
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Microsoft has something similar to UEM called UEV, it depends on how you license Windows and it's not as Admin friendly but it gets the job done. User Experience Virtualization for Windows 10, version 1607 | Microsoft Docs

0 Kudos