VMware Cloud Community
vadm168
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter Update Manager 6.7U1b does not take ESXi U2 ISO image?

Hi,

I am planning on upgrading my ESXi 6.5U1 to 6.5U2. I downloaded the Dell custom image VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.5.0.update02-10719125.x86_64-DellEMC_Customized-A07.iso and tried to import into VCSA 6.7U1b's Update Manager. After uploading it complains:

The "Import ESXi image" operation failed for the entity with the following error message.

The uploaded upgrade package cannot be used with VMware vSphere Update Manager.

Is there anyone having the same issue? Note I don't have this issue with ESXi 6.7 image.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sorry I had a "logical typo" in my previous post that I've corrected now.

With vCenter Server 6.7 (and VUM 6.7) you can only upgrade hosts to ESXi 6.7.

Does it mean I have to either boot ESXi from console or use command line to upgrade then?

Unfortunately yes.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vadm168
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

also, I did a checksum on the downloaded ISO and it has no corruption.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's by design. You can only not import/use ESXi images for versions other than Center Server.

André

0 Kudos
vadm168
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Andre,

If that's the case, there is no point to allow "upgrading" ESXi from an older version via VUM?

Does it mean I have to either boot ESXi from console or use command line to upgrade then?

Thanks,

[Edit]

I think I misread your reply. Are you saying ESXi 6.5 and 6.7 are considered the same version?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sorry I had a "logical typo" in my previous post that I've corrected now.

With vCenter Server 6.7 (and VUM 6.7) you can only upgrade hosts to ESXi 6.7.

Unfortunately yes.

André

0 Kudos
vadm168
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh well. That's too bad. Apparently running old hardware which is not certified with ESXi 6.7 is more trouble than I anticipated.

Thanks, Andre.

0 Kudos