VMware Horizon Community
tknop
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

UEM 9.6 - Privilege Elevation - All MSI Installationfiles fails with error 2755

Hi,

I have deployed a Linked Clone Pool with Windows LTSC (1809) an following VMware Apps:
- VMware Horizon 7.7 (Server and Agent)

- VMware UEM 9.6

- VMware AppVolumes 2.15.0

In the UEM, I have configured a "privilege elevation" for "path-based-user-installed applications" and also enabled the option "Also elevate all child processes" in the global settings.

Unless I start a non-MSI based setup, the elevated installation works fine.

However, if I start an MSI-based setup, the installation aborts with MSI error 2755 (argument 100). On Windows LTSB 1607, however, everything works this fine.

However, the support for Windows 10 version 1809 (November 2018 Update) is noted in the release notes.

Can someone help me here or has a solution approach?

Thanks !!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tknop
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi UEMdev​,

Thanks for the good advice.

The error disappears when a user without Writable AppVolumes performs an elevated MSI installation.

In fact, as in the Custom Appstack thread, the current February update for Windows 10 (KB4487044 for Windows 10 1809) is to blame for the error.

I have created a new master image without February update and then MSI installations are possible again. Smiley Happy

Therefore, I hope that VMware here as soon as possible published a patch or an update. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi tknop,

Do you have the same problem without App Volumes? From the Custom Appstack thread in the App Volumes forum and something I just read on an internal support mailing list, it seems there is an issue with MSI on App Volumes with certain Windows patches.

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi tknop,

Alternatively (i.e. with App Volumes in play), could you try installing an MSI with verbose logging (msiexec.exe /i yourMSI.msi /l*vx log.txt) and then check the resulting log.txt log file for Error: Wrong Path Name? Is there a reference to \\?\C:\SnapVolumesTemp\MountPoints\{some GUID}\SVROOT\Windows\Installer\something.msi in that same line?

0 Kudos
tknop
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi UEMdev​,

Thanks for the good advice.

The error disappears when a user without Writable AppVolumes performs an elevated MSI installation.

In fact, as in the Custom Appstack thread, the current February update for Windows 10 (KB4487044 for Windows 10 1809) is to blame for the error.

I have created a new master image without February update and then MSI installations are possible again. Smiley Happy

Therefore, I hope that VMware here as soon as possible published a patch or an update. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey UEMdev​.

It is indeed a patch that needs to be uninstalled which is different for every build of W10. It seems to be the cumulative patch for February and AFAIK it will be fixed in the newer version.

We decided to uninstall the patch on the golden image for now. Just PM for info  Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
DEMdev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi tknop,

Thank you for confirming. I don't know much about App Volumes, and I'd only see this particular issue come by in relation to installing MSIs when creating an AppStack, but I gathered it might very well be related...

It is indeed due to a change in an MSI-related DLL that's part of the February 2019 updates. The issue is definitely on the radar of the App Volumes team, but I can't say when it will be fixed (both because it's not UEM, and because I can't give any official dates on the forum 🙂

0 Kudos