VMware Communities
JimDeadlock
Contributor
Contributor

Win10 Guest vs Xbox One Controller (wired)

I'm running VMWare Player 15.0.2 on Ubuntu 18.04 host. My Win10 guest is generally running great, with VMWare Tools properly installed. In the settings for the guest I've set USB compatibility to 2.0 although I've also tried 1.1 and 3.0 (with reboots).

My Xbox One controller (wired) seems to be properly connected to the Win10 Guest. The 'Microsoft Controller' icon appears on the taskbar at the bottom of the VMWare guest window and I can connect/disconnect it (the icon blinks when connected, is that normal?). It appears properly in Device Manager within the guest:

devicemanager.png

Under Win Settings > Devices again it appears normally:

settingsdevices.png

Also please note that my USB headset works flawlessly in the guest.

My problem is that my apps can't seem to detect the controller. Steam reports 'no controllers detected' and when I try to run Xbox Accessories (from the Microsoft store) I get this:

xboxaccessories.png

I'm wondering if this is even a VMWare issue? Maybe it's just Windows acting up?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
koi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just ran into a similar situation (Win10 guest, Win10 host, XBox One controller works fine on host, guest recognizes that it's connected but it doesn't show up in joy.cpl or games). I was able to get it to work by adding the .vmx config line

usb.quirks.device0 = "0x045e:0x02ea skip-reset, skip-refresh, skip-setconfig"

as suggested in this KB article. Each option by itself didn't work, I needed all three (didn't try combinations of two). I had also set USB compatibility to 2.0, not sure if that was also required. After making this change, joy.cpl recognized the controller and it worked in a game.

Edit: This is Workstation Player 16.1.2

0 Kudos
koi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Playing around a little more, USB 2.0 is required (3.1 did not work) and I was able to remove the skip-refresh quirk and still have the controller work.

0 Kudos