VMware Communities
elameno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Audio Disconnects When I Enable Linux VM Microphone Input

I'm running a Windows 10 Pro Host with an Ubuntu 18.04 Guest.  The default sound device (and any sound device) will not connect unless I've run the following command:

pactl set-card-profile 0 output:analog-stereo

The sound card can connect and sound is great when that command has been run.  Note that there is no input enabled. 

As soon as input is enabled such that the active profile contains an active input, the VM sound card promptly disconnects e.g.

pactl set-card-profile 0 output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo

Both sound input and output was working fine with this exact same box/hardware before I reinstalled Windows 10.  Post-reinstall I can't figure out how to make the audio work again.  I'm grasping at straws here.  Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
elameno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Special thanks to pcvr​ for pointing out that the Windows 1803 update includes permissions settings for apps to access the microphone.  I turned off app access to the mic which unfortunately included VMWare Workstation.

Here's a copy of his response in another thread.  It solved my problem:

"This problem in Windows 10 is related to your privacy settings. I faced the exact same issue and figured out that the use of the sound device was denied because of my Privacy settings in my Windows 10 x64 system running build 1803. When I allow applications to access my audio related devices (like Camera, Microphone), then audio device will no longer disconnect in Linux guest OS and audio will be working fine!

Unfortunately currently there appears no way to make an exception for VMware Workstation in privacy settings..."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
elameno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Special thanks to pcvr​ for pointing out that the Windows 1803 update includes permissions settings for apps to access the microphone.  I turned off app access to the mic which unfortunately included VMWare Workstation.

Here's a copy of his response in another thread.  It solved my problem:

"This problem in Windows 10 is related to your privacy settings. I faced the exact same issue and figured out that the use of the sound device was denied because of my Privacy settings in my Windows 10 x64 system running build 1803. When I allow applications to access my audio related devices (like Camera, Microphone), then audio device will no longer disconnect in Linux guest OS and audio will be working fine!

Unfortunately currently there appears no way to make an exception for VMware Workstation in privacy settings..."

0 Kudos