VMware Horizon Community
Barker2015
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Chrome OS and USB Redirection in Horizon View

Is Horizon View on Chrome OS with USB Redirection ever going to be available?

I work in a school district and the only thing holding us back from using Chromebooks as a replacement for technology labs is that they are not able to detect the USB devices that the students plug in.  With our PCs and Linux thin clients we pass through devices for circuit design/robotics and it works great.  We were hoping that at some point with most schools going 1 to 1 with chromebooks that we would be able to utilize our VDI environment for a wider range of purposes.

Thank you!

3 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I haven't tested a chrome book in awhile, but did you try the andrioid client if its works, during testing we found that that worked better in most cases. I think alot of chrome books now can use android apps.

Barker2015
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'll give that a shot.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Barker2015
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just checked, unless I'm missing something there isn't anything in the Android App that is labeled USB redirection.  I tried a few different models that we have here, Dell Chromebook 5190 is what most of our students have.

Plugging in a flash drive, the Chromebook sees the device, but Horizon View doesn't.

Is there something specific I need to enable in the client?  It's 4.1.0-11281671

0 Kudos