7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2019 8:42 PM by dolzhenkom

Microsoft Teams on Non-Persistent - UEM + App Vols

dgrinnell Novice

Has anyone installed Teams MSI or EXE on a non-persistent environment?

As I see it there are 4 potential options,

1. Install on Master image

2. Install as app stack

3. User install on Writable UIA Vol

4. Thin App

I have tried the first three and every time i log off and log back in Teams is gone and I haven't had success yet on an App stack or on the Master image. I wanted to start up a discussion on this so we could get this as stable as possible. I also am running windows 7 and need to install Workplace Joined to get the VM's in Azure AD as Hybrid Azure AD joined.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Microsoft Teams on Non-Persistent - UEM + App Vols
          dgrinnell Novice

Thanks, so look's like other's are having trouble as well, but Thinapps + App stack it can be successfully deployed.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Microsoft Teams on Non-Persistent - UEM + App Vols
            Wittecom Lurker

I've tried option 1, 2 and 3 without any luck.

An alternative method is this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/msi-deployment

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/msi-deployment

If you use UEM, just run the msi as a logon task, or having no UEM: just run this as a computer gpo software installation task.

This works almost perfect, the only thing is that Teams credentials won't roam, so you have to fill in your credentials every time you log in.

Since it is using modern authentication, which we have switched off in Windows 10 icm with Office 365 due to activation issues.

So if anyone has a solution to roam modern authentication with UEM, please let me know...

What is MS thinking of making such a great app as Teams making it so hard to implement in VDI enviroments, sigh....

• 4. Re: Microsoft Teams on Non-Persistent - UEM + App Vols
              bcross64 Novice

Here's my silent install script (PowerShell). This should be run per user as the user:

$downloadx86url = "https://teams.microsoft.com/desktopclient/installer/windows/x86"

$downloadx64url = "https://teams.microsoft.com/desktopclient/installer/windows/x64"

$downloadpath = "$env:TEMP\teamstemp.exe"

$online = Test-Connection teams.microsoft.com -Count 1 -Quiet

while (!$online) {

Start-Sleep -Seconds 5

$online = Test-Connection teams.microsoft.com -Count 1 -Quiet

}

if ([System.Environment]::Is64BitOperatingSystem) {

$downloadurl = $downloadx64url

} else {

$downloadurl = $downloadx86url

}

$wc = New-Object System.Net.WebClient

$downloadurl = $wc.DownloadString($downloadurl)

$wc.DownloadFile($downloadurl,$downloadpath)

if (Test-Path $downloadpath) {

Start-Process "$downloadpath" -ArgumentList "-s" -Wait -NoNewWindow

Remove-Item $downloadpath -Force

}

I then capture the following:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Teams

%appdata%\Teams

%appdata%\Microsoft\Teams

%localappdata%\Microsoft\Teams

%localappdata%\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin

And exclude:

%appdata%\Teams\logs

%appdata%\Microsoft\Teams\Application Cache

%appdata%\Microsoft\Teams\Cache

%appdata%\Microsoft\Teams\tmp

%appdata%\Microsoft\Teams\logs.txt

%appdata%\Microsoft\Teams\lockfile

• 5. Re: Microsoft Teams on Non-Persistent - UEM + App Vols
                Anobix67 Novice

We have it working on our instant clones (using UEM and AppVol, but not for teams) built into our golden image. I used the MSI installer to install for the full system with the command: msiexec /i Teams_windows_x64.msi OPTIONS="noAutoStart=true"

Important thing to check, check your AutoRuns (Run registry key), mine was pointing to the wrong location (Program Files instead of (x86)) and was failing to run on login. The shortcut shows up on the desktop for users in about 30 seconds after sign in.

• 6. Re: Microsoft Teams on Non-Persistent - UEM + App Vols
                  Fabrice_Blanchet_Agropur Lurker

Hi Dgrinnell, We are successfully running Teams anf Onedrive using Writable UIA + Profile templace. Understanding that UIA only template capture applications under c:\program files\ and nothing under c:\users\ so this is why you must use UIA + Profile template.

Also, about Azure AD join instant clone computers:

1- Golden image must never been join to domain (workgroup)

2- We run followng commands at VM startup in the pool:

a- In horizon pool, under "guest personalisation" add disabling script  "dsregcmd /debug /leave" this will clean azure AD multiple machine with same names (instant clones)

b- add a startup script to your VM (gpo) with the following  lines (it clean current cumpouter in azure AD et re-register itself)

dsregcmd /debug /leave

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Workplace Join\Automatic-Device-Join"

c- add a shutdown script to clean azure AD before the instant clone machine gets delete at refresh

dsregcmd /debug /leave

This work successfully in our environment.

Fabrice

• 7. Re: Microsoft Teams on Non-Persistent - UEM + App Vols
                    dolzhenkom Novice

We've been using a UIA-only writable volume with a modified snapvol.cfg that eliminates all virtualization, essentially making it a persistent disk for our instant clones. That, combined with a UEM logon script that creates junction paths from the default path where Teams is installed (local appdata) to the writable volume (mounted to a drive letter), plus another logon script that installs the per-user Teams application if it is missing from the writable volume, is all that's needed for us to have the per-user version of Teams installed in a persistent way for Instant Clone users. We do the same thing with Slack and a few other per-user applications; the magic is in the hard links/junctions to fool the applications into living on the writable volume.