VMware Cloud Community
onlinenet
Contributor
Contributor

Install Esxi SD or Internal HDD?

Hi everyone

i want to say if is better install esxi on the internal drive or on SD card?

And which are difference beetween this two methods?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Install on a high-quality USB flash drive (on an internal USB header if you have one). Using a HDD is a waste of space.

0 Kudos
onlinenet
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

First thing leaving the space of the hdd, is any other benefits to install on USB or SD CARD?

And how much recommended space i need for SD Card or USB  Flash Drive 16GB?

Now i have 1 GB of SD Card in Dell Dual Internal SD it can be good or too little?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

USB is easier to replace, takes up less space (for systems that don't have internal bays), and frees up a HDD for use in other applications. You will need an 8 GB minimum flash device for ESXi.

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi there,

At risk of causing a holy war, I think it depends is the answer.

While it is true that by using a HDD you are wasting a lot of space, added cost plus there is the consideration of actually running the spinning rust (SSD?) however it is often easier to protect these with RAID1. Very few servers come with truly redundant options for either USB or SD cards (HPE does have a pseudo redundant Micro-SD option in a USB header but the constant alerts about latency drive you nuts or maybe that is just me).

When you are talking about a remote data centre, then having to visit to bring a host online because a SD/USB card has failed doesn't appeal. Yes I know you have to go and replace the failed drive but this is often much less disruptive than when using SD/USB inside the blade/server.

The other thing is that booting from HDD is much faster. Subject again and really not much of an issue unless you are waiting for the server to start Smiley Wink - BIOS normally kills you with these servers and probably why QuickBoot has come about. Having ESXi boot faster would not swing me to purchasing HDD but is a nice side effect.

Like I said this is probably highly subjective but works for us. As people have already pointed out the negative with installing on a HDD is the cost of the HDD, plus the waste of space and additional heat/power required.

We use a combination of the two depending on the distance the server is from us, i.e. we have some very remote branches and trusting remote hands to open a server to replace internal parts without breaking something else is a risk we are not willing to take. Much easier to have them slot a drive into the front of the server when it fails.

Hope these helps and I am well aware that I would be in the minority with using ESXi on local drive Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
onlinenet
Contributor
Contributor

So the effective benefits is only if i have a SD or USB external drive, in this case is much easy to replace

But in my case i have a Dell Internal Dual SD Module with two SD Card 1 GB in RAID1.

At this point is better install Esxi on the 300GB SAS Local Drive because if it's fail is more simple for replace it then use a Dell interal SD Card if is fail i need to open the lateral chassis the replace the SD fail.

So definally yours tell me is better use a drive external and non internal but in this case i have no LOG for SMART and not redundacy.

I think in my case is better install on HDD or not?

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi there,

In the case were you have dual SD slots then I would lean towards using them. Even more so if the server is under your control (i.e. you will be doing any maintenance work) as the risk involved in opening the server to replace the cards in the event one fails is reduced even futher.

If you only have a single HDD (no RAID configuration) then definitely the SD slots are way better in this case. Even with a single SD/USB option, if the device fails things keep working. With a single HDD it is all over.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos