VMware Communities
crsackett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Which directory should VM be in?

In trying to install Vimalin I have discovered that my Windows 10 virtual machine is in a folder in iCloud:

iCloud Drive (Archive)/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 10 x64 2.vmwarevm

I've no idea how this came about, and it would seem to be an unlikely place for it to be. It may account for the rather sluggish performance of my VM.

I'd be grateful for advice on where the VM should be located, and instructions on how to get it there.

Chris Sackett

3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Chris,

Personally I'm not an iCloud user, but see the benefits from using it. Especially for normal documents and things like photo's.

This article here:

https://www.imore.com/how-save-your-desktop-and-documents-folder-icloud-drive-macos

mentions how you can move your documents out of the iCloud part. Basically it is a move operation that you can do with drag & drop.

I agree with you that a virtual machine should not be synced to iCloud, for many reasons.

Fusion does not care where your Virtual Machines live, but it is probably a good idea to keep them under your user account.

So in your case I would create a new folder directly under your home folder.

Let's call it "Virtual Machines" (if you want to use a different folder name then no worries, you can)

Shut down your VM.

Commit any open snapshot(s) and wait until it is finished.

Shut down VMware Fusion.

Navigate to the Documents/Virtual Machines and drag your VM "Windows 10 x64 2" to the new "Virtual Machines" folder.

Let it move. If there's data of the VM in iCloud it might take a while to complete.

Once done, start VMware Fusion.

It will complain that it can no longer find your existing VM. It is safe to delete / remove it from the VM Library.

Add the moved VM to VMware Fusion again using File Open.

On start, when VMwre Fusion asks "Did you copy or move it" answer "Moved It"

If you need more detailed steps or have more questions then do not hesitate to ask.

PS: It might have been less confusing to first remove the VM from your Fusion Library before moving, but it is a potentially catastrophic step where you can remove the VM not only from the Library, but also from disk. This is why I moved that step to after moving the VM.

PS2: You might want to repeat those steps if you have other VMs in the Documents under iCloud folder.

hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

That may have happened if you set Mojave to optimize storage:  Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

0 Kudos
crsackett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wil,

Many thanks for your help. All done.

-Chris