VMware Communities
rsdchess
Contributor
Contributor

Mouse (horizontal) wheel is always triggered to the LEFT on Linux Host and Windows Client, even if there is no Horizontal Wheel.

It took me a while to get this right.

When a VM has usb.vbluetooth.startConnected = TRUE,  then mouse wheel will always be triggered to the left.

Host is Ubuntu 18.10 with multiple kernel tested from 4.15 to 4.20.  With multiple DE.

This happens on Windows 10 and 7.

Using the tool QiPress to display mouse events I caught the issue.

I also tried on a Ubuntu 18.10 and evtest to watch the events and the issue does not happen.

This is a hard to notice issue as most applications does not care for horizontal scrolling/mouse wheel.

I just notice on some specific place on Lightroom which uses it for zoom.

Changing usb.vbluetooth.startConnected to "FALSE"  works around the issue, but will probably make bluetooth unusable.

Can more people confirm this issue?

-rsd

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Ubuntu 18.10 is not a supported host OS for any release of VMware Workstation: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2129859

0 Kudos
rsdchess
Contributor
Contributor

Happens on 18.04 and 16.04.

I am not asking for support but giving you a bug report if you care.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

User Daphnissov is a volunteer trying to help out at the forums and does not work for VMware.

For the record, neither do I.

Also note that the forums are not an official support channel of VMware, so while it is appreciated to report a bug here, it isn't guaranteed to end up getting logged and looked into.

For that you would have to open a ticket.

BTW, I read your post earlier and am really not following what this means "mouse wheel will always be triggered to the left." can you elaborate a bit?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
rsdchess
Contributor
Contributor

Mices can have horizontal wheels (usually buttons and not wheel, physically).

We are used to a vertical Wheel on the middle button.

Most applications does not care for horizontal wheel events.

O some applications after VMWare 14 (if I recall correclty) and on Windows 7 and 10, mouse went berzek.

Using a Key Watcher, (QiPress), it was shown that the mouse button/event that would correspond to horinzontal wheel to the left.

For always triggered, I meant, like if someone  actually have the device and have it pressed forever.

Regressing on hardware compatibility, eventually would stop it.

Then, comparing the configs, I narrowed to  the usb.vbluetooth.startConnected option.

So, my first intention here is:

1 - Let other people with the same problem to find it.

2 - Let vmware (company) find about it and eventually correct it.

3 - See if other people had a similar problem or not.

My usual kind of problem with VW is kernel compatibility, which it is easier to solve on source.

As my only post here, I was expecting a nicer community.

-rsd

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Mikero​ for awareness.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi rsd,

I don't think any of us who replied to you was intending to be rude to you.

The problem is that it was not exactly clear what you meant with your original report.

Most topics in this forum are questions for help.

Your explanation now makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the additional details and the detective work on figuring out when this happens.

The product manager has been notified by daphnissov to take a look at this thread.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
rsdchess
Contributor
Contributor

Making further testings.

1. It happens only on Linux.  Tested on many all latest kernels from 4.15 to 4.20, on Ubuntu.

2. It happens on Ubuntu 18.04, 18.10.

3. It happens on may machines with different configurations.

4. It happens on VW 12.5 too.

5. It does not happens on the same machine running on Windows 10.

6. Using the Windows 10 client created on Windows 10 windows 10 host on the same machine, on Ubuntu, the issue appears.

pastedImage_0.png

Now I am really curious if more people on Linux Hosts can try QiPress to see if the issue surfaces.
I bet it is always there and most people do not realize/care.

-rsd

0 Kudos
rsdchess
Contributor
Contributor

Change the Title to reflect.

It is important to note that the issue is gone randomly (closing and starting the Workstation).
When it is gone, it will disappear for all clients.

So, it is not a client installtion issue, as it is with the Workstation globally.

0 Kudos