VMware Communities
Spanjokus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to create a RAW partition on Windows

Good afternoon everyone, please tell me how can I create a rad disk in Windows for testing?

2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

A raw partition is a partition on a virtual or physical disk that has not been formatted yet.
If you see a partition in diskmanagement of your Windows host that is described as "raw" it can also mean that the filesystem of that partition is damaged.
A raw disk is a physical  or virtual disk that has not been partitioned yet - either the disk comes fresh from the factory or  - in case of a virtual disk - has been newly created.
Sorry - I dont have any idea of what a rad disk is ???
Just fishing in the dark now .... in Workstation tutorials or documentation the term "raw disk" is often used for a physical disk that is assigned to a VM.
In this context the raw disk can not be created by yourself - as it specifies a physical harddisk you either already have one or will have to buy one.
If you use the "create new VM" wizard you can use the "add physical disk" button and Workstation will create a vmdk-file for you that then can be attached to a virtual machine.

Spanjokus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Many thanks to all who participated in the search for a solution. In the end, I found a way to allow me to create a RAW disk in Windows. If someone is interested, then this manual may be useful for testing. As a result, I worked out the RAW repair method and restored the data.

0 Kudos