VMware Horizon Community
Toolbox123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

UEM - creating a profile

Hi All,

Running a small Horizon environment, 2 RDS servers (RDS1 and RDS2) and 2 connection servers (1 internal and 1 external).

I am looking for the ability for user settings (that they make) follow them from RDS to RDS servers.  I am not using VDI at all, only the published apps.  So what I have read is that UEM is the way to go.

To see if it was working, I disabled the RDS2, logged in, I made some changes to an app, then enabled RDS 2, disabled RDS1 and logged in again and none of my changes where there.  When I look in the network share for profiles, it did create a folder with my username but nothing in it but a log file.  The log file doesn’t show any errors in it, everything looks fine.

Any ideas on what I am missing here?  All the documentation takes about configuring the programs for users but I want them to do it themselves.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You should try moving this to the UEM sub community as its will get better exposure. You need to set the things up you want to follow with the users, folder redirection is one, this redirects the users folders to a network drive. This can be done wither with windows gpos, or UEM has its own redirection settings in the management console under user environment. The app settings part is a bit different, your not trying to setup the apps for them(you can), but your telling UEM what is important about that app. The newest versions have configurations you can download for different apps and when these are configured properly when users logout a zip file is created for these and when they login that zip file is opened and the settings are put back where they need to be. There is a profiler tool you can use to create these configuration files if one doesn't exist, it watches what the program does through a test run, and saves the files. Basically it watches for registery and file changes and bases the configuration off of that.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You should try moving this to the UEM sub community as its will get better exposure. You need to set the things up you want to follow with the users, folder redirection is one, this redirects the users folders to a network drive. This can be done wither with windows gpos, or UEM has its own redirection settings in the management console under user environment. The app settings part is a bit different, your not trying to setup the apps for them(you can), but your telling UEM what is important about that app. The newest versions have configurations you can download for different apps and when these are configured properly when users logout a zip file is created for these and when they login that zip file is opened and the settings are put back where they need to be. There is a profiler tool you can use to create these configuration files if one doesn't exist, it watches what the program does through a test run, and saves the files. Basically it watches for registery and file changes and bases the configuration off of that.

Toolbox123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply!

I will give that a try.

0 Kudos