VMware Cloud Community
p2a4c4
Contributor
Contributor

Guests are not reachable

I am new and need some help.

I can ping my VMWare 6.7 host from anywhere on my network but I cannot ping my 2 Windows 10 guests or my vCenter vSphere server.

I installed the VMware host and then installed the vCenter server appliance and everything seems to be working. I installed 3 vSwitches because I have 4 NICs on the host.I changed the name of the first bridged switch. I then installed 2 Windows 10 guest and assigned them to the vSwitch-2 but the could not get an IP. The system said I needed to reboot and so I rebooted and when my system came up, I the have the following situation:

1. The host is working and I can ping the host from computers outside the host.

2. I lost access to the vCenter server and I cannot ping it any more and it will not come up on my browser

3. The 2 Windows 10 guests cannot ping the host or each other even though I assigned them IPs in the same subnet and they are in the same vSwitch.

So the host is working, but I cannot get to any of its guests and the guests cannot communicate with each other, the host, or anything for that matter.

I will appreciate your help

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please elaborate on your network setup (hysical, and virtual).

Maybe some screenshots will help.

I installed 3 vSwitches because I have 4 NICs on the host.I changed the name of the first bridged switch.

What's the reason for multiple vSwitches, and what exactly did you rename?

The 2 Windows 10 guests cannot ping the host or each other ...

Did you allow ICMP traffic in the Windows 10 guests' firewalls?

André

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Hi

Its's looking like windows firewall. Did you check the firewall windows?

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
p2a4c4
Contributor
Contributor

Windows firewall is not active. This is not affectingly only Windows 10 guests, it is also affecting the vCenter server also because I cannot connect to it in my browser. If I login with VMware Workstation 15, I can see that the vCenter and the 2 Windows 10 guests are all running.

0 Kudos
p2a4c4
Contributor
Contributor

The reason for multiple vSwitches is that I want each physical NIC to connect to its own switch. One of these switches will be in promiscuous mode to allow for monitoring devices.

0 Kudos