VMware Cloud Community
hegdec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Changin ESXi host name when vDS and vxlan TCP/IP stack vmknic is involved

Hi, I had to change the hostname on few of the ESXi hosts which had vDS switches. So, followed the below procedure.

- Placed the host into maintenance mode
- Disconnected host from vCenter inventory
- Removed the ESXi host from the vCenter inventory
- Changed the hostname and fqdn
- Added back the host to vCenter inventory
- Added back the host to vDS with same uplink and default TCP/IP stack vmknic configuration as before removing from the inventory which went smooth.

But, when I tried to perform the same operation on the ESXi host which had vxlan TCP/IP stack vmknic in the vDS, though I could add the host back to the vCenter successfyully, adding the host back to vDS failed. Moreover, the host under consideration wasn't listed under the hosts tab of the vDS and hence when we tried to add the host manually to vDS, the operation failed with the error message "Cannot complete a vSphere Distributed Switch operation for one or more host members ". But, the host vmnic and vmknic are still shown as part of vDS  switch in the ESXi shell and the vmknic and uplink section of the ESXi networking config tab.

Can some one help what may be causing the problem here when vxlan TCP/IP stack vmknic is involved in the vDS.

Error status : Cannot complete a vSphere Distributed Switch operation for one or more host members.

Error stack:

- An error occurred during host configuration.

- vDS operation failed on host <host fqdn>, Received SOAP response fault from [<cs p:00007fc9f8109220, TCP:<host fqdn>:443>]: invokeHostTransactionCall

Received SOAP response fault from [<cs p:00000081453be280, TCP:localhost:8307>]: invokeHostTransactionCall

An error occurred during host configuration. got (vim.fault.PlatformConfigFault) exception

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hegdec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Got a workaround.

After uninstalling the NSX VIB the things worked fine for adding host back to vDS. So, the steps to deal for host name change in NSX prepared host which worked for me was :

- Place host into Maintenance Mode.
- move host away from cluster to uninstall the NSX VIB or manually uninstall the NSX VIB
- Added back the host to vDS with same uplink and default TCP/IP stack vmknic configuration as before

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
hegdec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Got a workaround.

After uninstalling the NSX VIB the things worked fine for adding host back to vDS. So, the steps to deal for host name change in NSX prepared host which worked for me was :

- Place host into Maintenance Mode.
- move host away from cluster to uninstall the NSX VIB or manually uninstall the NSX VIB
- Added back the host to vDS with same uplink and default TCP/IP stack vmknic configuration as before

0 Kudos