VMware Cloud Community
woobai
Contributor
Contributor

Conversions from Hyper-V to new vCenter 6.5 keep failing

Hello all,

I am having trouble converting some old hyper-v virtual machines to our new vcenter 6.5. ( offline V2V )

First issue I encountered:

[NFC ERROR] NfcNetTcpWrite: bWritten: -1

[NFC ERROR] NfcSendMessage: send failed: NFC_NETWORK_ERROR

[NFC ERROR] NfcFssrvr_Close: failed to send close message

[NFC ERROR] NfcNetTcpWrite: bWritten: -1

[NFC ERROR] NfcSendMessage: send failed: NFC_NETWORK_ERROR

At first I thought this was network related, but after some googling I found out this is rather a problem that occurs when trying to migrate VMs with multiple disks. I also have to mention I have already migrated 2 Hyper-V VMs successfully, so it can't be network related.

I have already done several things:

- Trying to convert disk per disk

- Trying to do file level cloning instead of block level cloning by taking a destination disk with a little less space

- ran chkdsk /f on the disks I wanted to convert, to make sure the .vhd's were not faulty

- Installed the Converter agent on the Hyper-V server aswell as on the source machines

- Other minor stuff

When chosing block level cloning the conversion always stops at 1%:

BlockLevelVolumeCloneMgr::CloneVolume: failed with exception BlockLevelVolumeCloneMgr::CloneVolume: Detected a write error during the cloning of volume >)63060.0000056000000000. Error: 37409 (type: 1, code: 2338)

---> SEE LOGS ATTACHED vmware-converter-agent-1.log

When I go for file level cloning disk per disk I get to 38% tot 39% and there under Conversion Status I get the following:

"FAILED: A general system occured: Can not connect because the destination computer has actively refused the connection" ( this is a translation from dutch, since I am receiving the message in dutch )"

It seems like at this stage the the connection gets lost, also on my Hyper-V Server I can see the VMWare Converter Agent service has stopped , can also see this in event viewer --> Service Terminated unexpectedly.

I can see messages like this in the vmware-converter-server logs:

Failed to read request; stream: <io_obj p:0x01396dbc, h:-1, <pipe '\\.\pipe\vmware-converter-server-soap'>, <pipe '\\.\pipe\vmware-converter-server-soap'>>, error: class Vmacore::TimeoutException(Operation timed out)

--> SEE LOGS ATTACHED: vmware-converter-server-3.log

Please advise, I need to migrate these servers for a customer and have already lost countless days before coming here.

Kind regards,

Toon

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check if port 443 of vCenter is reachable from workstation you are running converter on. That is required if your'e setting vCenter as a target.

0 Kudos
woobai
Contributor
Contributor

Hello vijayrana,

Thanks for quick response. I can telnet from the workstation to the vcenter over port 443

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Two things: if agent is crashed then dmp file could be found in logs folder - could you upload it? Next - what's the difference with your successful conversions? version, destination, source, etc.

From the log - all looks like network error. By the way in 6.5 only TLS1.1 & TLS1.2 protocols are supported, and this could be the problem with connections (just a wild guess).

0 Kudos
woobai
Contributor
Contributor

Hello POCEH,

Can not find a seperate dump file when I export the logs from  the VMware Converter job. Or should I look somewhere else?

Now that I'm thinking, the 2 succesfull conversions happened on the same Hyper-V host. The other ones, which failed, are indeed located on another server.

--> However I do not see any differences between the two net work wise.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For dmp files look in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs folder.

Something must be different between HyperV hosts, the networking is very complex area. Also I see McAfee running, could you stop and check again, and ensure your user xxx\administrator is also an administrator in HyperV host.

HTH

woobai
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Poceh,

Unfortunately, also no dmp files found in there. I am running the tests with the Domain Admin account, which is ofcourse also in the Administrator groups on all Hyper-V hosts. I will try running again with McAfee stopped.

Could it be of any help if I post the ipconfig /all of the working + non-working Hyper-V host + Network settings in Hyper-V?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you just search vmware-*.dmp on your system disk?

The ip settings will not help me for problem identification unfortunately, also there could be some problem, like switch or similar, between two points of connection (HyperV <-> ESX)

Try to compare settings between working and not working environment by yourself.

HTH

0 Kudos