VMware Support Community
SCrlove
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade process stuck

Hi,

I have auto-update enabled on my collector and it seems to be stuck updating itself.

I get emails every day about it completing an upgrade:

Collector 356e9a8c-fabe-3317-929e-58195f1828d3 has updated from version 1.4.0.0 to version 2.0.0.2

Status

• Vami OS update: 1

Is there anything I can do to check on this/fix it or is this a situation where I just redeploy?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vJuanin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Hi, I had the same problem, to solve it  use the command line on Skyline Collector

# cd / opt / vmware / bin

# vamicli update --check

# vamicli update --install latest

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

Welcome to communities,

Skyline Auto upgrade is initiated, however upgrade dose not completed.

Please check if there is sufficient space.

Commands to check:

df -h

du -shc *

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
Skyline Support Moderator
0 Kudos
SCrlove
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't seem to be able to log into the collector via root.

I followed the process to reset the root password and while in there, noticed that the main partition was full.

I cleaned up the logs to free up some space and it looks like the root password expired and started all this.

I reset the password and I'm still not able to log into the VAMI or the console. The console states the account is locked from too many login attempts but it doesn't show as locked when I'm doing the reset. chage -l shows it's not expired and passwd -S shows it fine.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Aditya2018
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

You will need to unlock the account, run the following command after resetting the password:

/sbin/pam_tally2 -r -u root 

Sincerely, Aditya Gottumukkala Skyline Skyline Moderator VMware Inc
0 Kudos
SCrlove
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I think I got this now.

I had to go through the password reset process and run pam_tally in single user mode to reset the failed login counter on the root account.

This allowed me to actually log in to the console and the VAMI.

In the VAMI, the update had an error that it couldn't install the update because I needed to accept a EULA.

So a couple of things,

1) Is there an option in the VAMI to disable account expiration like vCenter or at least get an alert that's going to expire (and not using chage from CLI)?

2) Automatic upgrade notifications never stated there was a problem and allude to it being a successful install, they also were repeated daily, this should give an error of some sort.

0 Kudos
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thank you for sharing the details,

The option to disable root account expiration is not available with Skyline as of today because of Security Reason.

We would have this added on the Feature Request.

This was an issue on the Skyline Version 1.4, The issue is because of the log file (auth.log) which was consuming all the space on the directory. And the log rotation was not active.

Currently this has been fixed on the new Skyline version 2.0.0.2

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
Skyline Support Moderator
0 Kudos
vJuanin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Hi, I had the same problem, to solve it  use the command line on Skyline Collector

# cd / opt / vmware / bin

# vamicli update --check

# vamicli update --install latest

Regards

0 Kudos