VMware Cloud Community
eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vRO 7.5 running in Workstation for Dev use - how to update license?

I use a vRO Instance running in Workstation for any development and prototyping work. I can export packages to pass on my work. The instance is not integrated with a VC or vRA installation so it's operating as an "island". Client Authentication is just using OOTB vcoadmin and this works fine for my needs

My problem at the moment is that the license on my instance has expired and I want to re-license so that I can preserve my work and get decent exports. If I log into control-center it wants me to setup an Auth provider using either a VC or vRA instance for SSO and won't show me any other part of the Config UI until this is done.

Anyone updated the license in this mode before?

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Tried this and will update if it works

SSH to appliance as root

execute this command

#/usr/lib/vco/tools/configuration-cli/bin/vro-configure.sh license --type serial --serial <serial string>

restart appliance

Fingers crossed Smiley Happy

-- EDIT

This is the correct way to do this, just make sure you have a suitable license key (specifically VC or suite version to match your orchestrator version)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Tried this and will update if it works

SSH to appliance as root

execute this command

#/usr/lib/vco/tools/configuration-cli/bin/vro-configure.sh license --type serial --serial <serial string>

restart appliance

Fingers crossed Smiley Happy

-- EDIT

This is the correct way to do this, just make sure you have a suitable license key (specifically VC or suite version to match your orchestrator version)

0 Kudos
eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Nah, no joy - the client still has "UNLICENSED!" across the title bar after the restart

Anyone got anything else to try?

0 Kudos
ivand
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is done on purpose. You should use vSphere or vRA authentication. In your case teh only workaround is to use command line configuration tool. You need to ssh and run the tool /usr/lib/vco/tools/configuration-cli/bin/vro-configure.sh. Use option help to see how to add license

iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I ran the same command on my dev machine (7.6) and it seemed to work - the client doesn't show UNLICENSED anymore.

What type of license key did you try with - vCenter or vRA? Can you check if there are some license-related errors in vRO server.log file? Also, could you check the content of database table vmo_licenseitem - it should have one item with licensetarget column having value vRealize Orchestrator Server and providertype MANUAL (btw, once you are there, could you check how long is the content in the column licensestring).

If you have a slightly older version of vRO (let's say 7.4 or 7.3), it would be interesting to check if your license key is accepted there (just to rule out the possibility that there is some issue with the license key itself).

eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

iiliev

I used a vCenter license first and then switched to Eval mode so the value in that table now reads as the following 61 characters

rO0ABXQAHVc0MjJILUpIS0QwLVk4TVlSLUE4NzBILUMwQVExdAAERW9pbg==

Interestingly, I added the controlcenter API as a REST endpoint and used the license-controller APIs to get the license data and also to validate the current state

GET for controlcenter-api/license gives this

{

"license": {

"licenseElement": {

"pluginTarget": "vRealize Orchestrator Server",

"owner": "VMware",

"licenseString": "MN6JR-KLH4H-08EA8-0T204-0XKQF",

"licenseDescription": "Serial number : MN6JR-KLH4H-08EA8-0T204-0XKQF\nLicense owner : VMware\nTarget : vRealize Orchestrator Server\nLicense edition : vcEval\nSupport : None\nProduct : Evaluation Mode\nvRealize Orchestrator mode : Server\nExpiration : Mon Apr 01 12:07:45 UTC 2019\nLicense type : Site",

"providerType": "EVALUATION",

"properties": {

"License edition": "vcEval",

"Support": "None",

"Product": "Evaluation Mode",

"vRealize Orchestrator mode": "Server",

"Expiration": "Mon Apr 01 12:07:45 UTC 2019",

"License type": "Site"

}

}

},

"error": null

}

Doing GET on /license/validate gives

{

"errorMessage": "",

"status": "OK"

}

So, the server appears to be happy but when the client logs in, server.log has a license check failure message and the client shows "UNLICENSED!" on the title bar..... a little odd

I was wondering if I've somehow gotten into this weird state because I changed the Workstation Network type of the VM after it was first deployed - (I went from Bridged to Host-only). I have the feeling this may have generated some certs or other artifacts using a 192.168.1.* address where the VM now runs on a 192.168.233.* address

Anyway, thanks all for the help and advice - I reckon I'll just export all my packages and deploy a new 7.5 appliance, then in 60 days I can come back here and try again Smiley Happy

-Eoin

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hmm, the license string in the database points to a different license number than the one shown as an output from the API.

Could you try to delete the record from the database and then reconfigure the license, either from Contol Center UI or using the command-line tool vro-configure.sh?

eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Heh Smiley Happy My bad, that was and old copy from the other license I was trying with

This is the current value (61 chars)

rO0ABXQAHU1ONkpSLUtMSDRILTA4RUE4LTBUMjA0LTBYS1FGdAAGVk13YXJl

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

OK, I tried with this license key, and the vRO client greeted me with UNLICENSED! Smiley Happy

Will try to figure out what is the issue with this key.

iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

License validation code in vRO server rejects this license key with a validation error that claims license's expiration date is Nov 7th, 2018.

eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

iiliev

Thanks for the help, it was all my doing in the end Smiley Happy I was using a license key for 5.5 version instead of version 7. Moving over the correct key has resolved everything

Many thanks

0 Kudos