VMware Communities
quiettime
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Feedback: VMware Workstation 15 new status icon state change harder to see

The status icons are harder to see in Workstation 15 as compared to Workstation 14. I have a number of images where the network adapter is disabled and I can no longer tell at a glance whether or not the adapter is enabled. There is a green dot now instead of a color change but the dot is too tiny. Here's a pic. Depending on your screen size and pixel density it may be easy to see. Like in my browser as I'm typing this the images are scaled a little so it's easier to see.

Workstation 15 status icons hard to see.PNG

I prefer the old icons simply because it was easier to see when they changed state with small icons. Again this will depend on your screen size and pixels. If I had to guess my icons probably show at 1/8th of an inch.

3 Replies
gbohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think this is another aspect of the 'flatification' of the whole UI style as it's redone in the Windows 10 style.

I think this is a step backwards in clarity and usability all around.

Davion99
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. The new icons make the user interface harder to use.  The folder icons in the library now look similar to the individual VM icons.  Just because Microsoft decided to make a poor visual design decision doesn't mean that VMware needs to do the same.

gpilot
Contributor
Contributor

AGREED! The "modern" trend to boring black/white/gray/pencil-drawing icons is silly. We have fast GPU's, we are not in the 1980's PC era where resources were limited. Color, detail and contrast, used for icon graphics which resemble their components make a UI easy to use, not to mention much better looking. There is a freeware program, "resource hacker" which **may** allow changing the icons, I do not wish to affect functionality but this might be a good project to post on upwork or similar. Its actually worth a hundred or two to fix this. Yes, I'm still on Win 7, fully patched courtesy of 0patch. Thanks for listening! Greg
0 Kudos