VMware Horizon Community
Jamit2006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Suspend on Disconnect

Hi All,

We have a fleet of around 1300 virtual desktops of that we have around 900 Full Clone dedicated and the rest Floating Full Clone Virtual Desktops. However at anyone time we only have 600 (Dedicated and Floating) concurrent connected desktops. So this means we have large number of Virtual Desktops idle, in either a user disconnected state or available state.

We are doing some research on power managing the Full Clone desktops and have found that we can make a Gobal LDAP setting that Suspends Dedicated desktops on disconnect. With a default setting of 2 mins after the disconnect to suspend. Now this timeout can be modified at the pool LDAP record to a custom timeout. We have a case where some of the dedicated pools we don't want to suspend.

The VMWare KB references we are looking at;

Configure Dedicated Machines To Be Suspended After Users Disconnect  Pae-NameValuePair - suspendOnDisconnect=1

VMware Knowledge Base  Pae-OptSuspendTimeout  = <Custome Timeout value>

What we where wondering as has someone out there that has used these settings and found a value that the Pae-OptSuspendTimeout could be set too so that for selected pools the Pae-OptSuspendTimeout would not take effect? Or if there is another LDAP setting at the pool level that would override the pae-OptSuspendTimeout setting?

I know this is a long shot because the Pae-OptSuspendTimeout is a global setting and we are trying to override it with a pool setting. But thought I would ask just in case some has been able to do this in the past.

TIA

2 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I can't offer any insight on the two settings you referenced. However, as someone who manages a few thousand persistent desktops I highly recommend focusing your efforts on converting to non-persistent. There are a number of tools (VMware UEM/AppVolumes, Liquidware ProfileUnity/FlexApp and others) available that should make this possible. You will regain resources, provide a more consistent user experience and make image management easier.

pjagannathan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello TIA,

Try the setting below:

1. Set the Pae-Name pair value at global level to suspendOnDisconnect=1

Reference:https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-7/7.5/horizon-virtual-desktops/GUID-C61CEFCB-01B0-4EEE-9BC...

2. Set the value pae-OptSuspendTimeout at pool level to "0", wherein it will wait for infinite amount of time to suspend VM but at the same time the global policy to suspend VM on disconnect applies to the pool

For example if you have 10 pools and you need 2 pools to never suspend on disconnect, then apply below settings:

1. Set global value for Pae-Name pair attribute under CN=Common>OU=GLobal>OU=Properties to suspendOnDisconnect=1
2. For the 2 pools where you do not want the VMs to suspend set the
pae-OptSuspendTimeout=0

3. Restart the connection server service for the ADAM changes to reflect and then test the setup

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos