VMware Horizon Community
Marino_S
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Composer will not install in Windows 2016 Server

Hi all,

I was trying to install Horizon 7.7 on Windows 2016, and for some reason the installation fails.    Virtualisation Based Security is not enabled (and was never enabled on this VM).

The install fails with an event 7000.  I've tried it joined to a domain, not a domain member.  On windows 2012 R2 composer installs without an issue..    The only thing I haven't tried is upgrade the Windows 2012R2 box to Windows 2016 and  see what happens.

image001.png

Are there any other people here that have the same experience with installing Horizon composer 7.7 on Windows 2016 Server?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

kind regards

Marino

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
coopmal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do have secure boot enabled on your Windows Server 2016? It's a know bug that the composer installation fails when Secure boot is enabled.

You can re-enable Secure Boot after completing the View Composer installation.

To disable Secure boot do this :

1. Shut down you VM
  2. Browse to the virtual machine in the vSphere Client inventory.
  3. Right-click the virtual machine and select Edit Settings.
  4. Click the VM Options tab, and expand Boot Options.
  5. Under Boot Options, ensure that firmware is set to EFI.
  6. Deselect the Secure Boot check box to disable secure boot.
  7. Click OK.

Note: Enabling/Disabling Secure Boot for a virtual machine is available with vSphere 6.5 and higher.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you have VMware converter install on this server? If you no longer need it, I would remove it and try the composer installation again.

0 Kudos
Marino_S
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.. 

Converter was never on that system:   it's a new VM, we've only put the Server 2016 iso in it, and ran the composer install.

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you have secure boot enabled? Can you try disabling that.

0 Kudos
Marino_S
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No.  VBS is not enabled for that VM.    What I have is a brand new VM, created on esxi 6.7 update 1, running the VMware tools that come with it,   No VBS that's enabled ,but a fresh windows 2016 install.

Because the VBS article is the first one that I discovered, but it's not applicable to the situation I'm having.   I have the issue on a nutanix 3060 block, and I can reproduce it on my homelab 4x Intel nucs.

Both ended with the same result.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

From the documentation can you "Verify that no other Horizon 7 component, including Connection Server, security server, Horizon Agent, or Horizon Client, is installed on the machine on which you intend to install View Composer".

Install the View Composer Service

0 Kudos
Marino_S
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi  Ben,

Thank you for your reaction. 

But no: it's a new virtual machine, VBS is not selecting, I didn't do the os changes to enabke vbs in windows. It's a fresh 2016 install,  with all current windows updates, no antivirus, domain joined (tried with another that's never seen the domain, and got the same failure), no software installed,  except the VMware tools that come with the esxi version

And it won't work.     If I try the same on a win 2012R2 VM it installs without any issue

I'm thinking of upgrading the 2012R2 to 2016, and see what happens

Or maybe I should 2019

Regards

Marino

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Server 2019 is not supported at this time for the Connection Server or Composer.

Supported Operating Systems for Horizon Connection Server

Supported Operating Systems for View Composer

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try the install again and look at the %TEMP%\vmmsi.log_date_timestamp..log says, you may have the previous ones

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
Marino_S
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I know 2019 is not in the supported OS list,,   2016 is, and it's not working.    Some maybe it does work in 2019 Smiley Happy

Wat scares me is the fact that I seem to be the only guy in the world that is having this problem..

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you could share the installer log we might be able to identify the failure. Have you opened an SR with VMware to review the logs?

0 Kudos
Marino_S
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No not yet

No , not yet.

I'll try to dig up the logs

0 Kudos
coopmal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do have secure boot enabled on your Windows Server 2016? It's a know bug that the composer installation fails when Secure boot is enabled.

You can re-enable Secure Boot after completing the View Composer installation.

To disable Secure boot do this :

1. Shut down you VM
  2. Browse to the virtual machine in the vSphere Client inventory.
  3. Right-click the virtual machine and select Edit Settings.
  4. Click the VM Options tab, and expand Boot Options.
  5. Under Boot Options, ensure that firmware is set to EFI.
  6. Deselect the Secure Boot check box to disable secure boot.
  7. Click OK.

Note: Enabling/Disabling Secure Boot for a virtual machine is available with vSphere 6.5 and higher.

Marino_S
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you, and that was it..  

The problem was me mixing "secure boot" with "virtual machine based" security".....

Stupid..    but fixed it -> so Many Thanks!!!

The secure boot is well hidden...

0 Kudos