VMware Cloud Community
DrLogix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Datastore Backup

Author : Evgeni Ivanov

URL : http:////docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.esxi.install.doc/GUID-4CBEADFB-FBBD-49B6-A...

Topic Name : Required Information for ESXi Installation

Publication Name : VMware ESXi Installation and Setup

Product/Version : VMware vSphere/6.7

Question :

How to backup the daastore

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Beingnsxpaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi DrLogix​, first question is what type of DS you are trying to backup, if its local then you can use different types of raid  or raid combinations to keep a backup of all the data in the DS, if its a LUN presented from SAN then you can mirror the LUN at storage level and thats your back up. If you want the VM back up there are multiple options avaialbe, such as Avamar, rubrik, netbackup etc.

I Hope I was able to answer your question, if you still have doubt please be specific, as how to backup DS is an open ended and general question.

Regards

Pradhuman

VCIX-NV, VCAP-NV, VCP2X-DCVNV

Regards Pradhuman VCIX-NV, VCAP-NV, vExpert, VCP2X-DCVNV If my Answer resolved your query don't forget to mark it as "Correct Answer".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Beingnsxpaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi DrLogix​, first question is what type of DS you are trying to backup, if its local then you can use different types of raid  or raid combinations to keep a backup of all the data in the DS, if its a LUN presented from SAN then you can mirror the LUN at storage level and thats your back up. If you want the VM back up there are multiple options avaialbe, such as Avamar, rubrik, netbackup etc.

I Hope I was able to answer your question, if you still have doubt please be specific, as how to backup DS is an open ended and general question.

Regards

Pradhuman

VCIX-NV, VCAP-NV, VCP2X-DCVNV

Regards Pradhuman VCIX-NV, VCAP-NV, vExpert, VCP2X-DCVNV If my Answer resolved your query don't forget to mark it as "Correct Answer".
0 Kudos
genevt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@DrLogix

Please elaborate on what you mean by back up the datastore,  as there are different ways to back up/protect data, two of the common ways are below, however, more clarification will help get the best answer or options for your requirement(s).

- If you're talking about a local datastore on a host, housing VMs, I would use a solution that will back up the VMs themselves to another location.  Previous response mentioned RAID, but that will be to accommodate for a failure of one or more disks that make up that datastore, and not technically "back up" the data. To back up the data, you're essentially going to need to create a copy of that data in another location or media.

- If you're using shared storage from SAN, to "backup" or preserve a copy for a certain period of time at the datastore as a whole level, you can use the storage snapshot and replicate feature to first create a snapped copy, then replicate it to another site.  You can also do this local to the site, just make sure the storage supports either, and if replicating offsite, it will need to go to similar storage. Keep in mind that this will require additional storage, so keeping copies indefinitely may be a challenge.

Thanks!

0 Kudos