VMware Communities
mortenjensen01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Help: Blue screen win 10 upon fresh mac-install

Hi all,

I have been using Fusion for several years without any problems - but now all of a sudden, I am experiencing an extremely frustrating issue: After a fresh reinstall of High Sierra, my old virtual machine (win 10 64 bit) will not boot. I keeps circling blue screens, repair mode, crashing again and again. It still works on my secondary mac (no fresh install of High S). I tried to upgrade first to Majove - same issue. Then from Fusion 7 to 11 - the same!

I have been able to get a fresh installation of win 10 32 bit to run (64 bit crashed even though it was "fresh"). That is, sort of: I am not able to install office on this fresh win 10 without a blue screen crash.

The mac is the same (MBA 2013 i7). What is going on???

Morten

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JessieZhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

mortenjensen01​,

There is a problem with the configuration of your VM Windows10-MBP2012.vmwarevm⁩, I suppose this VM is a 64bit Windows 10 VM, but I saw guestOS = "windows7" in the vmx of the VM. So you configured your VM as a 32bit Windows 7 VM, while actually it is a 64bit Windows 10 VM. I am not sure if this causes the BSOD. But please give a try to correct the OS version by opening the VM' Settings => click General button => click the OS version field and change it's value to Windows 10 x64.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Morten,

Does it mean that clean install a Win10x64 guest in Fusion it will also BSOD now?

Could you please attach the support bundle if convenient?

(You can select "Help -> Collect Support Information" to get it)

Regards,

Shan

0 Kudos
mortenjensen01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sure, the blue screen error message is: SYSTEM_THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED.

It simply just keeps rebooting into blue screen.

Link to support file: VMware Fusion Problem Report 2019-01-18 at 13.10.38.zip - Google Drive

I am wondering, if it has to do with the new APFS-format of the SSD. But I do not think so, since I experienced it before I upgraded to Mojave.

It is really spurious and frustrating.

Morten

0 Kudos
JessieZhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

mortenjensen01​,

There is a problem with the configuration of your VM Windows10-MBP2012.vmwarevm⁩, I suppose this VM is a 64bit Windows 10 VM, but I saw guestOS = "windows7" in the vmx of the VM. So you configured your VM as a 32bit Windows 7 VM, while actually it is a 64bit Windows 10 VM. I am not sure if this causes the BSOD. But please give a try to correct the OS version by opening the VM' Settings => click General button => click the OS version field and change it's value to Windows 10 x64.

mortenjensen01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

WOW, Jessie, thanks a lot! That was the thing! One simple adjustment, and I am back and running! Thanks a lot!

Really appreciate!

Morten

0 Kudos