VMware Communities
proberts5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

send Alt-Printscreen key combination to a virtual machine.

There seems to be nowhere to send alt-printscreen, used in Windows to capture an application window to the clipboard as an image.

Does anyone know how to do this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
proberts5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok.

I've found the solution!

The clue was provided in one of the screenshots in the provided 'answers'.  The screenshot showed a drop-down list with scrollbars...

When you first click on the list to display the drop-down list there are no scrollbars, so the assumption is that the list is fixed; wrong! Once the dropdown list is displayed, if you then use the arrow keys to navigate the list beyond where you think the last item is, the scrollbars appear and the 'Print Scrn' key is in the list and can be selected.

It matters not which keyboard profile you originally selected, the problem and solution is the same.

My thanks to all of you for helping; between us we eventually got there.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Try this suggestion:

https://wiert.me/2014/09/01/vmware-fusion-altprint-screen-on-macbook-pro/

edit: That doesn't work, because there's a bug in the drop down list if you try to add a new shortcut key. It does _not_ list the print screen key.

You can't use the "send key" option under the vm menu either as those are not enabled when that dialog is showing.

The only way I was able to get the print screen key in the list was by attaching an external keyboard and pressing the print screen key on that.

It then even shows up in the drop down list.

VMware Fusion bug... AFAICR it has been reported before.

Please note that you only have to attach that external keyboard for defining the shortcut key, it should use the shortcut key you have defined afterwards.

Also play attention to the keyboard profile that you are adding the new shortcut to. It should match the keyboard profile of your VM.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi proberts5 ,

You can use key mapping function. Fusion Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse, select the profile your VM is using, this could be found via VM settings -> keyboard and mouse, then Fusion Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse->Key Mappings -> '+', for 'From:',select a key from the drop-down or enter a key to use, you could select a modifier if you wish ; for 'To:' click 'Alt' and select 'Print Scrn' from the drop-down list.

key mapping.png

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

There's no "Print Scrn" in my drop down list until I press it on an external keyboard.....(making the drop down a lot less useful)

Fusion 11.0.2 on MacOS Mojave

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
proberts5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The drop-down list does not have 'Print Scrn' in the list; I suspect it's because the standard keyboard on my Mac laptop has no such key, so it's not added to the drop-down list so it can't be selected.

0 Kudos
proberts5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And from your screenshot, I suspect you have different keyboard because I don't have F15 on my laptop keyboard either!

0 Kudos
proberts5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think you're right. It strikes me that this is a VMware bug. You shouldn't have to attach a Windows keyboard to emulate the Windows keystrokes; what would be the point? The whole point of a keymapper is to overcome the limitations of a keyboard that has limited keys.  My laptop keyboard does not have keys for F13,F14 or F15 either - so they're not in the drop-down lists.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Pretty sure it is a bug as this used to work.

In VMware Fusion 8.5.0, when you change the keyboard profile from "Default" to "Windows 8"

pastedImage_0.png

and then select the drop down, there's a long list of keys to choose from:

pastedImage_1.png

In Fusion 11.0.2 the list doesn't change anymore when you switch to another keyboard profile.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi proberts5 ,

My laptop keyboard does not have keys for F13,F14 or F15 either - so they're not in the drop-down lists.

You can use other keys for mapping. Say, 'control + M', you can click 'control' and the press 'm' key in the drop-down list. You can also send 'F15' via Virtual Machine -> Send Key menu.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

PMJI, but..

You can use other keys for mapping. Say, 'control + M', you can click 'control' and the press 'm' key in the drop-down list. You can also send 'F15' via Virtual Machine -> Send Key menu.

The "Send Key Menu" is disabled when you are in the dialog to map keys, so no you can not use that menu.

Also note that the user wants to map the "Print Screen" key, as that is not on the keyboard, it is pretty much impossible to map without attaching an external keyboard.

--

Wil

proberts5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok.

I've found the solution!

The clue was provided in one of the screenshots in the provided 'answers'.  The screenshot showed a drop-down list with scrollbars...

When you first click on the list to display the drop-down list there are no scrollbars, so the assumption is that the list is fixed; wrong! Once the dropdown list is displayed, if you then use the arrow keys to navigate the list beyond where you think the last item is, the scrollbars appear and the 'Print Scrn' key is in the list and can be selected.

It matters not which keyboard profile you originally selected, the problem and solution is the same.

My thanks to all of you for helping; between us we eventually got there.

wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Oh dear, I thought I had tried that. You are correct!

That's pretty weird and I think it is apple to blame here on this.

Thanks for sharing the solution, next time it comes up I'll be sure to remind it and can provide this as an answer.

--

Wil