9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2019 11:57 PM by LucD

-OScustomizationspec is not working properly with New-VM cmdlet

jatinjsk Enthusiast

Hello,

I have a template (Not Content Lib Template) and deploying VM through this with -OSCustomizationSpec Switch. However i can see the VM deployment task and could also locate the VM but somehow it is not applying -OSCustomization Spec. Any help Here?

Below is the Code.

$Template=Get-Template "SGAStemplate-WIN2012R2-20180301"
      $mySpecification = Get-OSCustomizationSpec -Name RaaS-CRSR 
      New-VM -Name VMYouCanDelete -Template $Template -ResourcePool 'sol-mgmt' -OSCustomizationSpec $mySpecification 

Error:

New-VM : 1/17/2019 10:13:37 AM  New-VM          Operation is not valid due to the

current state of the object.

At C:\users\Administrator\Desktop\Scripts\PowerShell\RaaS\TestCustSpec.ps1:4

char:1

+ New-VM -Name VMYouCanDelete -Template $Template -ResourcePool 'sol-mg ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [New-VM], VimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_BaseCmdlet_UnknownError,VMware.VimAutomatio

n.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.NewVM

• 1. Re: -OScustomizationspec is not working properly with New-VM cmdlet
          LucD Guru
          User ModeratorsvExpertCommunity Warriors

Which PowerCLI version are you using?

Get-Module -Name VMware* -ListAvailable

And which PowerShell version

$PSVersionTable

• 2. Re: -OScustomizationspec is not working properly with New-VM cmdlet
            LucD Guru
            User ModeratorsCommunity WarriorsvExpert

And did you already try to stop/start the PowerShell/PowerCLI session form where you are running the script?

• 3. Re: -OScustomizationspec is not working properly with New-VM cmdlet
              jatinjsk Enthusiast

ModuleType Version    Name                                ExportedCommands    

---------- -------    ----                                ----------------    

Script     6.7.0.8... VMware.DeployAutomation             {Add-DeployRule, A...

Script     6.7.0.8... VMware.ImageBuilder                 {Add-EsxSoftwareDe...

Script     6.7.0.1... VMware.Vim                                              

Script     11.0.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Cis.Core       {Connect-CisServer...

Script     11.0.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Cloud          {Add-CIDatastore, ...

Script     11.0.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Common                             

Script     11.0.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Core           {Add-PassthroughDe...

Binary     6.0.0.0    VMware.VimAutomation.HA             Get-DrmInfo         

Script     7.6.0.1... VMware.VimAutomation.HorizonView    {Connect-HVServer,...

Script     10.0.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.License        Get-LicenseDataMan...

Binary     6.5.0.4... VMware.VimAutomation.PCloud         {Connect-PIServer,...

Script     11.0.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Sdk            {Get-ErrorReport, ...

Script     11.0.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Storage        {Add-KeyManagement...

Script     11.0.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.Vds            {Add-VDSwitchPhysi...

Script     10.0.0.... VMware.VimAutomation.vROps          {Connect-OMServer,...

Script     6.5.1.7... VMware.VumAutomation                {Add-EntityBaselin...

Name                           Value                                          

----                           -----                                          

PSVersion                      5.1.14409.1018                                 

PSEdition                      Desktop                                        

PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}                        

BuildVersion                   10.0.14409.1018                                

CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.42000                                

WSManStackVersion              3.0                                            

PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.3                                            

SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1                                        

• 4. Re: -OScustomizationspec is not working properly with New-VM cmdlet
                jatinjsk Enthusiast

Yes, I first tried with PoweShell ISE and letter tried with PowerCLI.exe

• 5. Re: -OScustomizationspec is not working properly with New-VM cmdlet
                  LucD Guru
                  User ModeratorsvExpertCommunity Warriors

Did you already try with another template?

• 6. Re: -OScustomizationspec is not working properly with New-VM cmdlet
                    jatinjsk Enthusiast

Yes, After closing and restarting current PowerCLI session its not giving the error. Can you suggest on a permanent solution? Please. Should i use Remove-Variable * for the next VM to be deployed.

• 7. Re: -OScustomizationspec is not working properly with New-VM cmdlet
                      LucD Guru
                      Community WarriorsvExpertUser Moderators

That is a known issue, happened to me as well a couple of times.
                      Not sure if the problem is located with PowerShell or PowerCLI.

But I think it is a good practice to stop/start your PowerShell/PowerCLI sessions on a regular interval.
                      Independent if you are using it from a PS prompt, the ISE, the VSC...

• 8. Re: -OScustomizationspec is not working properly with New-VM cmdlet
                        jatinjsk Enthusiast

Yes, Looks like. I have a scenario where i am providing capability to users to deploy multiple VMs concurrently (Max 5 at a time) via PowerCLI script. Not sure how this will behave. Will update the thread once i am done with the UAT. Cheers LucD Thanks for your Help.

CC: abhishekmittal02

• 9. Re: -OScustomizationspec is not working properly with New-VM cmdlet
                          LucD Guru
                          vExpertCommunity WarriorsUser Moderators

One solution I often use, is to place the script in a separate .ps1 file.
                          Then the main script, where the user can make choices, starts a PS session (with powershell.exe) and run the script.
                          The user's choices are passed as parameters to the script.
                          That way the script itself always runs in a fresh session.