VMware Cloud Community
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VCSA upgrade to 6.5U2 - hostname/port/password

Hi,

Stage 1 got stuck at 99% and failed to complete verification (this is probably because I need to open access to the new temporary VCSA IP/port).

However when I consoled to the new VCSA VM I noticed that the IP is correct but the hostname is photon (do not have the full name but definitely had photon, I expected this to be the Temporary system name I set during the setup), any idea if this is something to worry about or if this will be corrected when it does the config sync in Stage 2?

I will also need to connect the new VCSA to the non-ephemeral distributed virtual port group, not sure if I can to this prior Stage 2 from the new VCSA VM properties?

Can I check if the VCSA root password is expired? (Heard that some VCSA upgrades fail because of this reason but error might not be indicative)

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1. Please ensure that forward, and reverse DNS lookups work for the vCSA.
  2. Only Ephemeral, and vSS port groups are available during the upgrade. Create an Ephemeral port group prior to the upgrade.
  3. Login to the VAMI on port 5480 using the root account, to see whether this works.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1. Please ensure that forward, and reverse DNS lookups work for the vCSA.
  2. Only Ephemeral, and vSS port groups are available during the upgrade. Create an Ephemeral port group prior to the upgrade.
  3. Login to the VAMI on port 5480 using the root account, to see whether this works.

André

0 Kudos
ChrisFD2
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As above.

It is normal that the new machine is called Photon, that's the name of the OS that VMware are using now. It will be in a default state until phase two when it assumes the identity of the old appliance.

Regards,
Chris
VCIX-DCV 2024 | VCIX-NV 2024 | vExpert 6x | CCNA R&S