VMware Cloud Community
Daniel045
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where is the linux version of vCenter Convert?

I'm on this link: VMware vCenter Converter: P2V Virtual Machine Converter

The claim is: "VMware vCenter Converter transforms your Windows- and Linux-based physical machines and third-party image formats to VMware virtual machines."

Great, I need to turn a linux (Ubuntu) instance into a VM.

Click on "Download Now" and it goes here: https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/info?slug=infrastructure_operations_management/vmware_vcenter_con...

Click on "Go to Downloads" and we get something that's windows only.  https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=CONV62&productId=701&rPId=20180

The other versions of this product are also windows only.

What am I missing?  Do I need to run this on wine?  Is this not actually working for Linux?

Thank you,

Dan Buss

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

It works for Linux but it doesn't work on Linux. You need to install Converter on a Windows machine and then you can convert a Linux one. There used to be a version running on Linux but it has been discontinued.

There is one more caveat though - converting a running Linux machine can be done only to vSphere (i.e. managed by vCenter Server or ESXi directly), but not to Workstation, Player or Fusion.

HTH,

Plamen

View solution in original post

2 Replies
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

It works for Linux but it doesn't work on Linux. You need to install Converter on a Windows machine and then you can convert a Linux one. There used to be a version running on Linux but it has been discontinued.

There is one more caveat though - converting a running Linux machine can be done only to vSphere (i.e. managed by vCenter Server or ESXi directly), but not to Workstation, Player or Fusion.

HTH,

Plamen

Daniel045
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

First of all thank you, that's the perfect answer and tells me what I need to know.

2nd, everything you said really should be in the description.  For me it changes this from a perfect tool to a dry hole.

Thanks again,

Dan

0 Kudos