2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2019 5:41 AM by Daniel045

Where is the linux version of vCenter Convert?

Daniel045 Lurker

I'm on this link: VMware vCenter Converter: P2V Virtual Machine Converter

The claim is: "VMware vCenter Converter transforms your Windows- and Linux-based physical machines and third-party image formats to VMware virtual machines."

Great, I need to turn a linux (Ubuntu) instance into a VM.

Click on "Download Now" and it goes here: https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/info?slug=infrastructure_operations_management/vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone/6_…

Click on "Go to Downloads" and we get something that's windows only.  https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=CONV62&productId=701&rPId=20180

The other versions of this product are also windows only.

What am I missing?  Do I need to run this on wine?  Is this not actually working for Linux?

Thank you,

Dan Buss

• 1. Re: Where is the linux version of vCenter Convert?
          Plamen Master
          VMware Employees

Hello,

It works for Linux but it doesn't work on Linux. You need to install Converter on a Windows machine and then you can convert a Linux one. There used to be a version running on Linux but it has been discontinued.

There is one more caveat though - converting a running Linux machine can be done only to vSphere (i.e. managed by vCenter Server or ESXi directly), but not to Workstation, Player or Fusion.

HTH,

Plamen

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Where is the linux version of vCenter Convert?
            Daniel045 Lurker

First of all thank you, that's the perfect answer and tells me what I need to know.

2nd, everything you said really should be in the description.  For me it changes this from a perfect tool to a dry hole.

Thanks again,

Dan