VMware Cloud Community
Skampie
Contributor
Contributor

Related Objects

HI,

i have to set some permissions for a group inside my compagny to let them see the related objects in the summary screen of a vm. When i login as administrator the filed is nicely filled with information but when the user off that specific group logs in he/she sees nothing.

which permission should i enable to let them see this information?

Thx in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

Kindly find below the per-established roles:

• No Access: A permanent role that is assigned to new users and groups. Prevents a user or group from viewing or making changes to an object
  • Read-Only: A permanent role that allows users to check the state of an object or view its details, but not make changes to it
  • Administrator: A permanent role that enables a user complete access to all of the objects on the server. The root user is assigned this role by default, as are all of the users who are part of the local Windows Administrators group associated with vCenter Server. At least one user must have administrative permissions in VMware.
  • Virtual Machine Administrator: A sample role that allows a user complete and total control of a virtual machine or a host, up to and including removing that VM or host
  • Virtual Machine Power User: A sample role that grants a user access rights only to virtual machines; can alter the virtual hardware or create snapshots of the VM
  • Virtual Machine User: Grants user access rights exclusively to VMs. The user can power on, power off, and reset the virtual machine, as well as run media from the virtual discs.
  • Resource Pool Administrator: Allows the user to create resource pools (RAM and CPU reserved for use) and assign these pools to virtual machines
  • Datacenter Administrator: Permits a user to add new datacenter objects
  • VMware Consolidated Backup User: Required to allow VMware Consolidated Backup to run
  • Datastore Consumer: Allows the user to consume space on a datastore
  • Network Consumer: Allows the user to assign a network to a virtual machine or a host

For your request, I guess it will be "Virtual Machine Power User".

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
Skampie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

thx for the reply but it's not what i am looking for, i already created a role for the specific users in a newly created group. the only thing is that the related object field on the summary page is empty. when i login with my own "admin" account it shows information about:

Custer:

Host:

Resource Pool:

storage:

with this info it's easy to see where a VM is located in one view. of course there are a lot of other ways to find this info but this shoould be a settings somewhere i the privileges.

myself i thought it was something in the global part like "set custom Attribute" but i am not sure and i do not have a location that i am allowed to test unfortunatelly.

greetz.

0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Yes sure it is set of custom attributes.

If possible can you share the privileges assigned to this user/group ?

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
Skampie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, i had to to it like this.

Ii just put in here all settings that are enabled. all other settings are disabled.

Privileges:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_17.png

pastedImage_16.png

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

pastedImage_7.png

pastedImage_8.png

pastedImage_9.png

pastedImage_10.png

pastedImage_11.png

pastedImage_14.png