VMware Cloud Community
sheenlim2017
Contributor
Contributor

Customization Specification Fails when Creating VM from Template

I have noticed that when I create a new VM from a VM Template in the Content Libraries, i get a failed Customization Specification process. However when I create a VM from a Template I do not get this issue.

Screenshot from 2019-01-14 09-18-50.png

I did notice a difference when create VM from Library and Cloning from Template. From the "Cloning from Template" wizard (after selecting the customization profile) i do get a page where I am asked what the NETBIOS value should be, but I do not get this page when creating VM from Library. Any ideas?

For now, the work around I do is to create a VM from Library with applying Customization Profile, then after the VM is created I convert it to a Template.

Am I doing something wrong? or is this behavior a known issue?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Hi,

what version/build of vCenter are You using? Customization deploing VM from template from Content Library is available from 6.5 version.

What’s New in vSphere 6.5: Host & Resource Management and Operations - VMware vSphere Blog

What kind of template are You using? Vmtx or OVF? There are some differences between full functionality of them still.

The VM Template as a Content Library Item

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos