VMware Cloud Community
Carcosa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PowerCLI Question/help with make snapshot from .csv and show results.

Hi There,

I'm I've been using Powershell more and more lately and at my current job they've PowerCLI available, oh boy!
I've been busy with creating a script over the weekend that works with a menu, which my fellow sys-admins can use to snapshot their VMs.

I've been having a certain issue, but I don't now what I’m doing wrong. I hope someone can help me or tell me what I’m doing wrong.

The function can read a .csv with some server names and it does correctly make a snapshot with the given
name. But now I want to give me feedback on what he just did. I want feedback on what machines just received a snapshot. I've been using multiple commands, but nothing seems to work. Whenever I run the function it just doesn’t output anything, not even an error.
Whenever I run it in the shell it self with out using any function :  get-vm | Get-Snapshot | select VM
, Created, Description, SizeGB | sort Created | ft -au I’ll get the result I want it shows me the latest snapshots I just created.

vmware.csv content:

Name

S-test01

S-test02

S-test03

Earlier defined variables:

$svice03 = "s-vice03.test.int"

$serversvice3= Import-Csv "C:\temp\vmware.csv"

This is the function:

function vmsnapvice03
{

Connect-viserver $svice03

cls

write-host "Connected to the S-Vice03"

$serversvice3 | %{Get-VM $_.Name | New-Snapshot -Name "Pre-Patching" -Description "Before Patching" -Quiesce:$false -Confirm:$false}

sleep 5 

get-vm | Get-Snapshot | select VM, Created, Description, SizeGB | sort Created| ft -au
# write-host "Created snapshot for " $serversvice3            

}

I've been also trying to use:

write-host "Created a snapshot for " $serversvice3

Which works but it print it out in a ugly format: Created snapshot for @ {name=s-Apps-18} , If I could make this just s-Apps18 I would be happy. But then again, what am I doing wrong in the function that it doesn’t work with get-vm.

Additional information, we're using PowerCLI 6.5 release 1 build 4624819

Thanks for reading and thinking with me.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are confusing the PowerShell output engine by mixing Write-Host and Format-Table.

Try adding an Out-Default to that line

Get-VM | Get-Snapshot |

select VM, Created, Description, SizeGB |

sort VM | Format-Table -AutoSize | Out-Default

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are confusing the PowerShell output engine by mixing Write-Host and Format-Table.

Try adding an Out-Default to that line

Get-VM | Get-Snapshot |

select VM, Created, Description, SizeGB |

sort VM | Format-Table -AutoSize | Out-Default

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

Carcosa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply LucD,

Now it's looking like :

function vmsnapvice03
{

Connect-viserver $svice03

cls

write-host "Connected to the S-Vice03"

$serversvice3 | %{Get-VM $_.Name | New-Snapshot -Name "Pre-Patching" -Description "Before Patching" -Quiesce:$false -Confirm:$false}

sleep 5

$serversvice3 | %{Get-VM $_.Name | Get-Snapshot | select VM, Created, Description, SizeGB | sort created | Out-Default}

}

And it's working like a charm. Cheers, have a good weekend!

0 Kudos