VMware Cloud Community
Gaprofitt17
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Home Lab Buildout

Hey all,

I'd like to build out a vRA home lab setup.  I know some people have used those Intel NUC's, etc..  I'm looking to learn vRA...  Any recommendations or guides?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mohab_samy
Contributor
Contributor

If you are VMware Partner use Solution Kit un the partner central

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you're looking to learn vRA, it might be best to get started with the VMware hands on labs, which are free. Lots of good lessons to learn there.

0 Kudos
carl1
Expert
Expert

I like the Dell 310's.

As for licensing, take a look at VMUG Advantage.

Carl L.

0 Kudos
future2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I would recommend a SuperMicro based server using a X9DRI-LN4F+ board. Using 16Gb DDR DIMMS this can be equipped with 384GB RAM in a single 1U chassis. These take Xeon E5-26xx v2 processors which support ESXi 6.7 and are very reasonable. This is currently the most cost effective configuration for a x86 home lab.

Cheers

0 Kudos
bryanvaneeden
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'd also say that you could start by using a Hands On Lab. These are free and very large as regards to what you can learn.

Link: VMware Hands-on Labs

The reason for this is that if you want to deploy vRA yourself at home, you would need a large environment since you need a vCenter, ESXi hosts, AD server is recommended, and the vRA server also has two servers. So you would need a lot of RAM which is expensive.

Visit my blog at https://vcloudvision.com!
0 Kudos