VMware Communities
orionsys
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion v8 - Unable to open file

I run Fusion v8 on macOS.

1) I have a 3.4 TB server that I copied onto a new H/D.

2) I started the virtual server from the new H/D, and chose 'copied' before it started up.

3) Then I deleted the old virtual server (a few days later) to make room for new backups.

ISSUE: When I deleted the old virtual server, the new one would not start - asking for a .vmdk from the old virtual server location.

NOTE: when I ran the virtual server from the new location I right-clicked on fusion > virtual machine library > show in finder ---> this took me to the new virtual machine. It did not say anything about needing files from the old location.

Now I cannot start the virtual machine server, and I'm not sure how to fix it. I know all the files needed to start are in the new location, but how do I tell .vmx to not look in the old location?

I've attached the problem report.

Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

before you start editing any files, please consider to do a complete backup!

I think that the issue is related to the configuration (.vmx) file, in which the virtual disk points to an absolute path

scsi0:0.fileName = "/Volumes/recovery/Data Recovery 2019-01-08 at 14.22.07/mxsvr-2-vm-5tb/Windows Server 2008 R2 x64.vmwarevm/Virtual Disk-000014.vmdk"

rather than just to the virtual disk file

scsi0:0.fileName = "Virtual Disk-000014.vmdk"

Due to this, all recent changes - since the VM has been moved - were stored in the now deleted files, i.e. they are lost.

In addition to that (although most likely not related to the current issue), files "Virtual Disk-000002.vmdk" through "Virtual Disk-000006.vmdk" contain an entry that I haven't seen before

ddb.consolidateDestFileName = "..."

I'd actually consider to delete this line from these files.

Please make sure that VMware Fusion is closed while editing the files!

André

0 Kudos
orionsys
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre, thanks for replying. I tried to get it working for a few hours, but finally punted and went to my backup solution.

However, I lost a few days worth of data and hours of my time.

The real question I have is this -  I copied the VM bundle from H/D 1 to H/D2. Then I started the VM bundle from H/D 2, and when I chose 'show in finder' from the virtual library it showed the VM bundle on H/D2 as the source. So how is it possible that the VM bundle on H/D 2 was still wirting to H/D 1? How can it be that pulling the H/D 1 offline would kill the H/D 2 VM?

I've copied many VMs, and ran them from the copied location no problem. This is however the second time I've been burned by what appears to be an incomplete copy, or something like that.

ST

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This is becaues of the absolute path in the configuration file. No matter from where you start the VM, it will always access the .vmdk (virtual disk) files on the location that's specified in the settings.

André

0 Kudos
orionsys
Contributor
Contributor

Makes sense. I'll double check this file going forward. Thanks!

0 Kudos